Subject: [Ecrit] Drafts on real-time text of interest for ECRIT

From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:09:48 +0200

A point has been included in the ECRIT agenda on drafts for real-time text
handling.
 
This is a brief description of the drafts and motivation for presenting them
in ECRIT.

Title: Real-time text refinements
 
Presenter: Gunnar Hellstrom
 
Drafts: 
draft-hellstrom-text-conference-01
draft-hellstrom-textpreview-06
draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-02
draft-hellstrom-textgwy-01

Links:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-conference-01.txt

 <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-textpreview-06.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-textpreview-06.txt

<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-02.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-02.txt

 <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-01.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-01.txt

Motivation:

Consistent presentation of RFC 4103 real-time text media in SIP sessions
have become essential by its adoption for emergency services in the IETF
ECRIT specifications. Therefore, specifications are needed that nail down
presentation related details so that the view of a text conversation can be
maintained in synchronism at the participants of a session.

One use case is when a relay service is included in the call for translation
between a text conversation with the user and a spoken conversation with the
PSAP, still presenting also the typed dialogue to the PSAP. This scenario
requires a three-party call handling of the real-time text as well as other
media in the call. Text can be used as a single medium in a call, or in
various combinations with video and audio to carry all from the whole
dialogue to small pieces of information that is easier to transfer by text
than by audio or video. 

The following drafts will be presented. The basic information on the use of
real-time text is found in RFC 4103, RFC 5194, RFC 5012,
draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp and draft-ietf-ecrit-framework.

1. draft-hellstrom-text-conference-01 gives details on how to use the RTP
translator model and the mixer model for multi-party conferences with
real-time text. Both models have their pros and cons. The translator model
requires no specific marking in the media stream, but instead advanced RTP
handling of multiple SSRC:s in the same RTP session that all RTP
implementations MUST have but in practice seldom has. The mixer model
requires new source marking at the media level but simpler RTP handling. It
is proposed to agree on the use of one of these methods.

2. draft-hellstrom-textpreview-06 gives details on how real-time text
sessions can be presented, and adds details on the scope of erasure and
division of text into paragraphs or messages. These clarifications are
important to keep a common view of a text conversation for the participants.

3. draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-02 is a registration of a media feature
tag of importance for smooth interoperation with legacy text communication
protocols. Gateways to legacy text communication is important where the
emergency services provide access for legacy text terminals. The feature tag
is needed because the legacy equipment has functional limitations in
simultaneity that the SIP user must consider when in contact with legacy
equipment.
 
4. draft-hellstrom-textgwy-01  specifies call control and media handling for
gateways for real-time text between SIP with RFC 4103 for text  and PSTN
with textphones such as TTY. Gateways to legacy text communication is
important where the emergency services provide access for legacy text
terminals.

More information on the drafts:
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------
1. Title : Text media handling in RTP based real-time conferences

Author(s) : G. Hellstrom, A. Wijk

Filename : draft-hellstrom-text-conference-01.txt

Pages : 9

Date : 2009-07-12

This memo specifies methods for text media handling in multi-party calls,
where the text is carried by the RTP protocol. Real-time text is carried in
a time-sampled mode according to RFC 4103. Centralized multi-party handling
of real-time text is achieved through a media control unit coordinating
multiple RTP text streams into one RTP session, identifying each stream with
its own SSRC. Identification for the streams are provided through the RTCP
messages. This mechanism enables the receiving application to present the
received real-time text medium in different ways according to user
preferences. Some presentation related features are also described
explaining suitable variations of transmission and presentation of text.
Call control features are described for the SIP environment, while the
transport mechanisms should be suitable for any IP based call control
environment using RTP transport. An alternative method using a single RTP
stream and source identification inline in the text stream is also
described.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-conference-01.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-conference-01.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------

2. Title : Presentation of Text Conversation in realtime and en-bloc form

Author(s) : G. Hellstrom, et al.

Filename : draft-hellstrom-textpreview-06.txt

Pages : 17

Date : 2009-07-11

This specification defines methods for presentation of a text conversation
with focus on the real-time features. The aim is to give the participants in
a conversation a good opportunity to perceive the real-time flow of the
conversation and also provide a display of the history of the conversation
that makes it easy to read. Both two-party and multi-party situations are
defined.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

 <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-textpreview-06.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-textpreview-06.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
 
3 Title : Registration of the Real-time-text Media Feature Tag

Author(s) : G. Hellstrom, A. Wijk

Filename : draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-02.txt

Pages : 6

Date : 2009-07-12

This memo defines a new Media Feature Tag "real-time-text" for use in SIP
registration and session establishment. This is used to indicate if a device
capable of text communication has full real-time text capabilities or
limitations in its capabilities requiring the users to apply some
turn-taking habits.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-02.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-02.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------
4. Title : Real-time text interworking between PSTN and IP networks

Author(s) : G. Hellstrom, et al.

Filename : draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-01.txt

Pages : 16

Date : 2009-07-13

IP networks can support real-time text communication. SIP-based

real- time text is called Text-over-IP or ToIP. PSTN networks support
real-time text using textphones (or TTYs). When real-time text is supported
by different networks, gateways are needed to provide interoperability.
Real-time text capable gateways may also support real-time voice.

This specification describes procedures for interworking between ToIP and
PSTN textphones using a real-time text capable gateway (RTT gateway). It
also describes ways to route calls to RTT gateways for several call
scenarios.

Procedures that support the phased introduction of RTT gateways and
procedures that support the invocation of text channels at any time during
the call are included. Interworking of PSTN textphones that do not support
simultaneity of voice and text with IP User Agents that support simultaneous
voice and text is also described.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

 <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-01.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-01.txt

------------------------------------------------------------------

The drafts have not got any working group assignments yet. They are of
interest for ECRIT, but probably not of such central interest that they
should be made ECRIT working group items.
 
/Gunnar
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
[email-masked]
Tel: +46708204288
www.omnitor.se <http://www.omnitor.se/>

---

From: "Roger Marshall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:45:47 -0700

Since Henning and Hannes weren't able to attend this IETF, we need to
decide what to do with a few drafts.
 
Of the following consolidated agenda, I need slides from the presenters
soon, and no later than 12 noon tomorrow (Tues).
 
Emergency Context Resolution with Internet Technologies (ecrit)
WEDNESDAY, July 29, 2009
0900-1130 Morning Session I
 
* Status Update (Chairs, 15 min)
* Specifying Holes in LoST Service Boundaries (Martin, 15 min)
* IANA Registering a SIP RPH Namespace for Local Emergency
Communications  (James, 10 min)
* Using Imprecise Location for Emergency Context Resolution (Richard, 10
min) 
>* Policy for defining new service-identifying labels (Henning, 15 min)

* Location-to-Service Translation Protocol (LoST) Extension:
ServiceListBoundary (Karl-Heinz, 10 min)  
* Extensions to the Emergency Services Architecture for dealing with
Unauthenticated and Unauthorized Devices (Dirk, 15 min)  
>* Marking of Calls initiated by PSAPs (Henning, 15 min)
>* Premature Disconnect Indication (Henning, 15 min)
* Trustworthy Location Information (Bernard, 15 min)   
* Real-time text activities relevant for ECRIT (Gunnar, 15 min)
 
Brian has agreed to present in place of Henning for:
 
* Premature Disconnect Indication (Henning, 15 min)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-ecrit-premature-disconnect-rqmts
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-ecrit-premature-disconnect-rqmts

The other two presentations we will cancel.

* Policy for defining new service-identifying labels (Henning, 15 min)
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-forte-ecrit-service-urn-policy
<http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-forte-ecrit-service-urn-policy> 

* Marking of Calls initiated by PSAPs (Henning, 15 min)
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-psap-callback-00.txt
<http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-psap-callback-00.txt> 
 
If anyone needs more time than presently allotted, let Marc & I know
quick.
 
thanks.
 
Roger Marshall/Marc Linsner

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete it and all attachments from your computer and network.

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:19:53 -0500

At 02:45 PM 7/27/2009, Roger Marshall wrote:
>Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
>Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>     boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01CA0EF2.D655AD6C"
>
>Since Henning and Hannes weren't able to attend this IETF, we need 
>to decide what to do with a few drafts.
>
>Of the following consolidated agenda, I need slides from the 
>presenters soon, and no later than 12 noon tomorrow (Tues).
>

Roger - I didn't update this ID for IETF75 (didn't get to it among 
all I did update).

- I have a detailed review from Keith, which will be the basis for my 
next rev of this ID.

James

>* Using Imprecise Location for Emergency Context Resolution (Richard, 10 min)
><http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-ecrit-premature-disconnect-rqmts>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-ecrit-premature-disconnect-rqmts
>
>
><http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-forte-ecrit-service-urn-policy>http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-forte-ecrit-service-urn-policy
>
>
><http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-psap-callback-00.txt>http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-psap-callback-00.txt
>
>If anyone needs more time than presently allotted, let Marc & I know quick.
>
>thanks.
>
>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message 
>may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended 
>recipient, or responsible for delivering this message to the 
>intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination, 
>distribution or copying of this communication or any attachment(s) 
>is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, 
>please notify the sender immediately, and delete it and all 
>attachments from your computer and network.
>_______________________________________________
>Ecrit mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 03:00:32 -0500

Hi Roger,

I really don’t need (or want) 15 minutes.  Cullen raised a very small issue, we resolved it and I’ll just need to get a confirmation.  Maybe we can get more out of discussing trustworthy location.

I’ll also note that Karl-Heinz isn’t here (or I haven’t seen him).

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roger Marshall
Sent: Monday, 27 July 2009 9:46 PM
To: Ecrit@Ietf. Org
Cc: Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)
Subject: [Ecrit] Agenda is changing - need feedback and slides

Since Henning and Hannes weren't able to attend this IETF, we need to decide what to do with a few drafts.

Of the following consolidated agenda, I need slides from the presenters soon, and no later than 12 noon tomorrow (Tues).

* Status Update (Chairs, 15 min)
* Specifying Holes in LoST Service Boundaries (Martin, 15 min)
* IANA Registering a SIP RPH Namespace for Local Emergency Communications  (James, 10 min)
* Using Imprecise Location for Emergency Context Resolution (Richard, 10 min) 
>* Policy for defining new service-identifying labels (Henning, 15 min)  
* Location-to-Service Translation Protocol (LoST) Extension: ServiceListBoundary (Karl-Heinz, 10 min)  
* Extensions to the Emergency Services Architecture for dealing with
Unauthenticated and Unauthorized Devices (Dirk, 15 min)  

* Premature Disconnect Indication (Henning, 15 min)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-ecrit-premature-disconnect-rqmts <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-ecrit-premature-disconnect-rqmts> 

* Policy for defining new service-identifying labels (Henning, 15 min)
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-forte-ecrit-service-urn-policy <http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-forte-ecrit-service-urn-policy> 

* Marking of Calls initiated by PSAPs (Henning, 15 min)
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-psap-callback-00.txt <http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-psap-callback-00.txt> 

thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

---

From: "Alexander Mayrhofer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:16:36 +0200

> I really don't need (or want) 15 minutes.  Cullen raised a 
> very small issue, we resolved it and I'll just need to get a 
> confirmation.  Maybe we can get more out of discussing 
> trustworthy location.
> 
>  
> 
> I'll also note that Karl-Heinz isn't here (or I haven't seen him).

I'm prepared to talk about the service list boundaries draft - Karl
Heinz has briefed me, and we have slides for it.

Alex

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:33:12 -0500

Roger

I just noticed that my ID on a new URN for geocoding is not on the 
agenda, yet I have a message from Hannes saying I was put on the agenda.

Can you clarify/confirm one way or the other?

James

---

From: "Roger Marshall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:27:24 -0700

James:
I conferred with Marc, and he agreed to have it presented.  I will add
it to the agenda as having 15min.

Please send the slides for the URN for Geocoding draft.

Thanks.

-roger.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: James M. Polk [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:33 AM
> To: Roger Marshall; Ecrit@Ietf. Org
> Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Agenda is changing - need feedback and slides
> 
> Roger
> 
> I just noticed that my ID on a new URN for geocoding is not 
> on the agenda, yet I have a message from Hannes saying I was 
> put on the agenda.
> 
> presenters 
> >WEDNESDAY, July 29, 2009 0900-1130 Morning Session I
> >
> >* Using Imprecise Location for Emergency Context Resolution 
> (Richard, 
> >10 min)
> ><http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-ecrit-premature-disco
> nnect-rqmt
> >s>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-ecrit-premature-disc
> onnect-rqm
> >ts
> >
> >
> ><http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-forte-ecrit-service-urn-polic
> y>http://t
> >ools.ietf.org/id/draft-forte-ecrit-service-urn-policy
> >
> >
> >CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this 
> message may 
> >be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended 
> intended 
> >recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination, distribution or 
> >copying of this communication or any attachment(s) is strictly 
> >prohibited. If you have received this message in error, 
> please notify 
> >the sender immediately, and delete it and all attachments from your 
> >computer and network.