Subject: [Ecrit] Problem statement for Premature Disconnect

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 05:31:29 -0400

I was asked to reword a problem statement on premature disconnect that
might be acceptable to begin work on, probably a design team on
requirements.  I propose:

In emergency calls, people are stressed.  They sometimes try to
disconnect a call where communication between the caller and the call
taker has begun, but before the call taker has acquired enough
information to direct appropriate response.  That circumstance is known
as "premature disconnect".  In those circumstances the device should
behave differently.  For example, the device may alert rather than
disconnect.  The behavior of the device would be UI driven, and thus not
specifiable by the IETF, although advice might be given.  

Special behavior is not always desirable.  For example, in high call
volume circumstances, the call may be answered by the PSAP at an IVR, in
which case no special behavior is desired.  The device may not implement
the specification, or for some reason, it may not be available for a
particular emergency call.  For this reason, some form of signaling at
the beginning of the call is needed to negotiate enabling the special
behavior.  

It is desirable that the PSAP be aware that the user has attempted to
disconnect/reconnect, and it may be useful for the PSAP to be able to
influence the behavior of the device.  Some form of signaling for this
purpose is desirable, but need not be reliable, since it is advisory.   

In all circumstances the user must maintain control of his device, and
it must be possible for the user to take some action to complete a
disconnect.

The geopriv work group would complete requirements for handling
premature disconnect.  Some of the resulting protocol work may need to
be accomplished in other RAI work groups.

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:22:20 -0400

There is a small typo in this.

The ECRIT work group would complete requirements for handling premature
disconnect.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Rosen, Brian
> Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:31 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Ecrit] Problem statement for Premature Disconnect
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ecrit mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit