Subject: [Ecrit] Adding top-level service labels

From: "Andrea G. Forte" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:16:14 -0500

Dear all,

Recently, the LoST Extensions draft has been ratified as RFC 6451. This
means that people can start using LoST for non-emergency services.
Furthermore, Telecom Italia (the first Italian mobile carrier) has
contacted us for knowing the status of the service classification draft as
they were interested in working in that area.

We think that times have matured enough to resume our discussion on
non-emergency location-based services. However, given that this is the
ECRIT working group, I wanted to bring to the group's attention the draft
on service URN update policy
[http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-forte-ecrit-service-urn-policy-00].

As a reminder, this draft would update "Section 4.1 of [RFC5031] in that
the policy for adding top-level service labels is "Expert Review".  The
expert is designated by the RAI Area Director". Today standard action is
required for this, which is a significant overkill to just add "food" or
"lodging". I do not see any harm in introducing this change in policy but
I would like to know the opinion of the WG.

Thanks,
-- Andrea G. Forte