Subject: [Ecrit] What belongs in "Service:SOS" URNs?

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:04:52 -0700

In the ECRIT session, there was much discussion regarding what 
belongs as a subservice in the SOS service URN.  Much of the debate 
focused on a distinction between a pragmatic view and an 
architectural view, if I may characterize it as such.  The pragmatic 
side arguing that what we have are service numbers (also called short 
codes) that people are trained to use, such as 911 in the U.S. and 
112 in Europe, which are mapped to a service URN, which is used to 
obtain a SIP route.  Alternatively, the architectural side argues 
that what belongs in a service URN is a distinct service, that is, a 
different type of response (e.g., police, fire with water, fire with 
halon, ambulance, animal control, etc.) and that items used for 
routing don't belong in the URN.

In recapping this debate for a fellow IETFer who doesn't follow 
ECRIT, he asked about the ability to request multiple distinct 
services.  For example, a building where the fire, flood, and burglar 
alarms have all gone off.  Or a vehicle that knows it is being stolen 
and is on fire (or a vehicle that knows it has a horse trailer and 
has crashed).  His point is that if we don't have the ability to add 
multiple services at the same time, then in reality what we have is 
used for routing and isn't a distinct service request.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
tartle (TAR-tul; Scottish; verb): to hesitate in recognizing
a person or thing.