Subject: [Ecrit] Fwd: Re: [csds-addldata] draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data & Subcontractor Concept

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:58:30 +0200

Barbara, does this description for the Subcontractor concept make you 
happy? I could add some additional text to the section based on Brian's 
description.

Here is proposed text:

-----

3.1.8.  Subcontractor Principal

    Data Element:  Subcontractor Principal

    Use:  Conditional.  This data is required if the Data Provider type
       is subcontractor.

    XML Element:  <SubcontratorPrincipal>

    Description:  Some providers outsource their obligations to handle
       aspects of emergency services to specialized providers.  If the
       data provider is a subcontractor to another provider this element
       contains the DataProviderString of the service provider to
       indicate which provider the subcontractor is working for.

    Reason for Need:  Identify the entity the subcontractor works for.

    How Used by Call Taker:  Allows the call taker to understand what the
       relationship between data providers and the service providers in
       the path of the call are.

3.1.9.  Subcontractor Priority

    Data Element:  Subcontractor Priority

    Use:  Conditional.  This element is required if the Data Provider
       type is set to "Subcontractor".

    XML Element:  <SubcontractorPriority>

    Description:  If the subcontractor has to be contacted first then
       this element MUST have the value "sub".  If the provider the
       subcontractor is working for has to be contacted first then this
       element MUST have the value "main".

    Reason for Need:  Inform the call taker whom to contact first, if
       support is needed.

    How Used by Call Taker:  To decide which entity to contact first if
       assistance is needed.

-----

Here are two examples:

Example #1: SubcontractorPriority = sub

        <ad:DataProviderString>Example Subcontrator
        </ad:DataProviderString>
        <ad:ProviderID>urn:nena:companyid:ID12345</ad:ProviderID>
        <ad:ProviderIDSeries>NENA</ad:ProviderIDSeries>
        <ad:TypeOfProvider>Subcontractor</ad:TypeOfProvider>
        <ad:ContactURI>sip:[email-masked]</ad:ContactURI>
        <ad:Language>EN</ad:Language>
        <xc:DataProviderContact>....</xc:DataProviderContact>
        <ad:SubcontractorPrincipal>Example VoIP 
Provider</ad:SubcontratorPrincipal>
        <ad:SubcontratorPriority>sub</ad:SubcontratorPriority>

Example #1: SubcontractorPriority = main

        <ad:DataProviderString>Example Subcontrator 2
        </ad:DataProviderString>
        <ad:ProviderID>urn:nena:companyid:ID123456</ad:ProviderID>
        <ad:ProviderIDSeries>NENA</ad:ProviderIDSeries>
        <ad:TypeOfProvider>Subcontractor</ad:TypeOfProvider>
        <ad:ContactURI>sip:[email-masked]</ad:ContactURI>
        <ad:Language>EN</ad:Language>
        <xc:DataProviderContact>....</xc:DataProviderContact>
        <ad:SubcontractorPrincipal>Example VoIP 
Provider</ad:SubcontratorPrincipal>
        <ad:SubcontratorPriority>main</ad:SubcontratorPriority>

With the second example there is the intresting situation that the call 
taker will not have enough information to actually contact the VoIP 
provider since it does not have any contact information. The contact 
information that is provided in additional data in those two examples is 
pointing to the subcontractor.

Ciao
hannes

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [csds-addldata] draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data & 
Subcontractor Concept
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:21:03 +0000
From: Rosen, Brian <[email-masked]>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

This reflects the reality that some service providers will outsource 
their obligations to handle aspects of emergency services to specialized 
providers exactly as they do now.  As with current arrangements, some 
aspects of this outsourcing vary between providers, and specifically, 
some wish the outsourcing provider to be the first point of contact, 
while others prefer to handle contact themselves.  The "principal" is 
the actual service provider (access or originating)

The "Principal" arrises to label whom the contractor is working for.

The priority indicates whether the contractor or the principal is to be 
contacted.

Brian

On Oct 16, 2013, at 9:56 AM, Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the additional data specification (see http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data) contains the 'Subcontractor Principal' and the 'Subcontractor Priority' elements as part of the Data Provider Information data block.
>
> The description of the subcontractor does not provide a lot of details why this outsourcing concept would be important to capture.
>
> What was the initial motivation for introducing this data element?
>
> Ciao
> Hannes