Subject: [Ecrit] ecall: References to draft-additional-data

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 13:14:58 +0000

Hi,

In general, think the draft still contains far too many references to draft-additional-data. It’s really confusing – especially since draft-ecall only uses (as far as I understand) section 6 of draft-additional-data.

In some places the text says:

"the 'Emergency Call Data Types' IANA registry established in [I-D.ietf-ecrit-additional-data].”

You only need to write the name of the IANA registry – you don’t need to write which specification created it.

In some places the text says:

“mechanism in [I-D.ietf-ecrit-additional-data].”

I think you should have one specific transport section in the draft, where you describe how the information is transported in SIP messages (INFOs and non-INFOs). For non-INFOs, you could refer to section 6 of draft-additional-data, and for which SIP messages the rules apply.

However, section 6 of draft-additional-data contains additional-data specific text, so perhaps you need to be even more specific on exactly what you mean by “mechanism”. I think it would be better to update section 6 of draft-additional-data, to be more generic.

Regards,

Christer

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 15:25:09 -0700

Hi Christer,

>  In general, think the draft still contains far too many references 
> to draft-additional-data. It's really confusing - especially since 
> draft-ecall only uses (as far as I understand) section 6 of 
> draft-additional-data.
>
>  "the 'Emergency Call Data Types' IANA registry established in 
> [I-D.ietf-ecrit-additional-data]."
>
>  You only need to write the name of the IANA registry - you don't 
> need to write which specification created it.

OK, I've made these changes throughout -09.

>  "mechanism in [I-D.ietf-ecrit-additional-data]."

I can see how this could be confusing.  I've created a new "Data 
Transport" section that describes exactly how the MSD and 
metadata/control blocks are attached, and then referred to that 
section rather than repeat the information about the CID and 
Call-Info and so forth, which means most references to the 
additional-data draft have now been deleted.

>  I think you should have one specific transport section in the 
> draft, where you describe how the information is transported in SIP 
> messages (INFOs and non-INFOs). For non-INFOs, you could refer to 
> section 6 of draft-additional-data, and for which SIP messages the 
> rules apply.

In the new section, I've spelled out how the MSD and the 
metadata/control object are attached.

>
>  However, section 6 of draft-additional-data contains 
> additional-data specific text, so perhaps you need to be even more 
> specific on exactly what you mean by "mechanism". I think it would 
> be better to update section 6 of draft-additional-data, to be more 
> generic.

The revised text says how the data is attached.  I think it's more 
clear and straightforward now.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
"!sgub evah t'nseod CP sihT ?sgub naem ayaddahW"