Subject: [Ecrit] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash-20.txt> (Next-Generation Vehicle-Initiated Emergency Calls) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 08:52:50 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Emergency Context Resolution
with Internet Technologies WG (ecrit) to consider the following
document:
- 'Next-Generation Vehicle-Initiated Emergency Calls'
  <draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash-20.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-01-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes how to use IP-based emergency services
   mechanisms to support the next generation of emergency calls placed
   by vehicles (automatically in the event of a crash or serious
   incident, or manually invoked by a vehicle occupant) and conveying
   vehicle, sensor, and location data related to the crash or incident.
   Such calls are often referred to as "Automatic Crash Notification"
   (ACN), or "Advanced Automatic Crash Notification" (AACN), even in the
   case of manual trigger.  The "Advanced" qualifier refers to the
   ability to carry a richer set of data.

   This document also registers a MIME media type and Emergency Call
   Additional Data Block for the vehicle, sensor, and location data
   (often referred to as "crash data" even though there is not
   necessarily a crash) and a SIP INFO package to enable carrying this
   and related data in SIP INFO requests.  An external specification for
   the data format, contents, and structure are referenced in this
   document.

   This document reuses the technical aspects of next-generation pan-
   European eCall (a mandated and standardized system for emergency
   calls by in-vehicle systems within Europe and other regions).
   However, this document specifies a different set of vehicle (crash)
   data, specifically, the Vehicle Emergency Data Set (VEDS) rather than
   the eCall Minimum Set of Data (MSD).  This document is an extension
   of the eCall document, with the primary differences being that this
   document makes the MSD data set optional and VEDS mandatory, and adds
   attribute values to the metadata/control object to permit greater
   functionality.  This document registers a new SIP INFO package
   (identical to that registered for eCall but with the addition of the
   VEDS MIME type).  This document also describes legacy (circuit-
   switched) ACN systems and their migration to next-generation
   emergency calling, to provide background information and context.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2523/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2252/