Subject: [Efficientnd-dt] IEEE P802.11aa Reliable Multicast

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 09:47:43 -0700

I just saw an reference to that work.I gather it is targeting 
audio-video bridging.

Does anybody know whether it could also be used improve the reliability 
of other multicast?

    Erik

---

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 08:09:18 +0000

Hi Erik:

Cc ing Norm.

Pascal

> Le 5 août 2014 à 18:48, "Erik Nordmark" <[email-masked]> a écrit :
> 
> 
> I just saw an reference to that work.I gather it is targeting audio-video bridging.
> 
> Does anybody know whether it could also be used improve the reliability of other multicast?
> 
>   Erik
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Efficientnd-dt mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/efficientnd-dt

---

From: Andrew Yourtchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 12:32:56 +0200

FWIW, (and Norm please correct me if I am saying anything that does not 
make sense :)

I've looked at these two:

http://aetos.it.teithe.gr/~peris/research/ICC_2012_802.11aa.pdf  - the 
overview of the mechanisms

and

http://www.sigcomm.org/sites/default/files/ccr/papers/2014/January/2567561-2567567.pdf 
- the experiences with running code.

To me seems like they are not video-specific, even though they keep 
mentioning video (probably just because this is where the biggest impact 
is):

DMS - directed multicast service - this seems to be a variation of what is 
done today. send multicast as per-station unicast.

UR - unsolicited retries - basically, send multiple copies of the packet 
at a higher rate.

BA - block acknowledgement - send the burst of groupcast frames, then poll 
each receiving station for the block ACKs.

The implementation from the second paper is open source, so this seems to 
be a good topic for a student project to compare the energy efficiency 
of all the approaches :)

--a