Subject: [Emailcore] Document updates and interactions with the ietf-smtp mailing list

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 11:41:02 -0400

([email-masked] is copied for convenience in this note --
please do not include it in any replies.)

Hi.

Now that we have a WG and a separate mailing list...

(1) The last several hours have included a discussion on
ietf-smtp about domain validation and possible modifications to
SMTP that would presumably go into 5321bis.   If we are going to
have a separate mailing list for this WG, threads that propose
5321 (or 5322) modifications should be on the emailcore list
and, if we are going to avoid very confused editors and others,
the emailcore list exclusively.  I suggest that co-chairs either
take on responsibility for enforcing that principle or that they
find someone to do so.

(2) draft-klensin-email-core-as-00 will expire this week.
Unless someone (presumably including the co-chairs) provides a
convincing argument for me to do otherwise, I do not intend to
post an updated version of that document.  I would be willing to
post a version with a draft-ietf-emailcore... name, but that
means that someone needs to initiate the process of designating
it as a WG draft.  And, as I have said several times before, I
don't intend to be editor of that document as it evolves with WG
discussion, so I hope the co-chairs have a volunteer to whom I
can send the XML and notes and a plan.

(3) Similarly, I do not expect there to be a
draft-klensin-rfc5321bis-04, so, if and when people want to see
an updated version of draft-klensin-rfc5321bis-03, there should
be some action to authorize posting of what would presumably be
draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5321bis-00.

best,
   john

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 15:10:16 +0100

Hi John,

On 27/09/2020 16:41, John C Klensin wrote:

> the emailcore list exclusively.
I concur. I encourage people to use [email-masked] for further 
discussions.
> I suggest that co-chairs either
Ack.
> draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5321bis-00.

Chairs will start adoption calls within a couple of weeks.

Best Regards,

Alexey