Subject: [Emailcore] Updating 1123

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 01:07:10 -0500

Hi.

I just noticed that 5321bis indicates that it updates RFC 1123.
I think that is just a carryover from RFC 5321 and can be
deleted.  Does anyone see a reason why it should be retained?
If I don't hear from anyone by the time I start generating and
posting -02 (assume circa 24 hours from now) I'm going to take
it out -- it can always be put back later if someone finds
something and I don't think this is worth a ticket.

Of course, the WG Chairs can overrule me on the ticket bit
should they choose to do so.

    john (obviously as editor)

---

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 17:44:02 +0100

> deleted.  Does anyone see a reason why it should be retained?

When 5321 is obsoleted, those updates will be lost?

> something and I don't think this is worth a ticket.

I read various places that seem to imply that the update should be carried over 
from RFC 5321:

    updates RFC 1123 (replacing the mail transport materials of RFC 1123)

    It also includes some additional material from RFC 1123 that required
    amplification.

Indeed, browsing RFC 1123 I found a few ones: Section 5.2.17  Domain Literals: 
RFC-822 Section 6.2.3 (doesn't have IPv6), 5.3.1.1 Sending Strategy (the I-D 
has some additional text), 5.3.1.2  Receiving strategy (ditto), 5.3.2  Timeouts 
in SMTP (albeit the number of minutes look the same), 5.3.3  Reliable Mail 
Receipt (Section 6.1 of the I-D has "MUST be stripped down"), 5.3.4  Reliable 
Mail Transmission (Section 5.1 of the I-D provides more details), 5.3.6 
Mailing Lists and Aliases (we can hopefully clarify forwarding)...

I agree there should be a Section or an Appendix that collects those updates, 
for those coming from RFC 1123 looking for what is updated.

Best
Ale
--