Subject: [GGIE] SMPTE 2110 dependencies on IETF RFCs

From: "Deen, Glenn (NBCUniversal)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 03:25:03 +0000

Hi all,

I ran into a last minute login problem with datatracker and just listerally by 1 minute missed the I-D cut off for IETF105.    Here’s the document via email for your amusement.  I will upload it once the datatracker opens up again at 105.

There’s not much of a discussion in this one, it’s meant to capture and illustrate the dependencies that groups like SMPTE have on the IETF when they create standards such as SMPTE has done in their 2110 which defines Video over IP networks for professional video.

-glenn

Network Working Group                                            G. Deen
Internet-Draft                                      Comcast-NBCUniversal
Intended status: Informational                              July 8, 2019
Expires: January 9, 2020

                    SMPTE 2110 Normative References
           draft-deen-mops-SMPTE 2110 normative references-00

Abstract

   This document lists the normative references of the SMPTE 2110 suite
   of standards from SMTPE that define the transport of professional
   video over IP networks.  The purpose of this list is to capture and
   illustrate to the IETF reader the dependencies and diversity of needs
   that the standards in this suite have on the work of the IETF.

   This document is being discussed on the [email-masked] mailing list.

Status of This Memo

   This Internet-Draft is submitted in full conformance with the
   provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF).  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.  The list of current Internet-
   Drafts is at https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current/.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   This Internet-Draft will expire on January 9, 2020.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (c) 2019 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
   document authors.  All rights reserved.

   This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
   Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
   (https://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
   publication of this document.  Please review these documents
   carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
   to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
   include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of

Deen                     Expires January 9, 2020                [Page 1]

Internet-Draft       SMPTE 2110 Normative References           July 2019

   the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
   described in the Simplified BSD License.

Table of Contents

   1.  Terminology . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   2
   2.  Introduction  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   2
   3.  SMPTE 2110 Normative References to IETF standards . . . . . .   2
     3.1.  SMTPE 2110-10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
     3.2.  SMTPE 2110-40 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
     3.3.  SMTPE 2110-31 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
     3.4.  SMTPE 2110-30 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
   4.  Acknowledgements  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
   5.  IANA Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
   6.  Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
   7.  Normative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
   Author's Address  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7

1.  Terminology

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

2.  Introduction

   The SMTPE 2110 suite https://www.smpte.org/st-2110 defines the use of
   IP networks for professional video production.  It is built upon a
   variety of standards and protocols from a variety of organizations
   including AES, IEEE, and the IETF.  Given the IETF's role in
   definining standards for IP networks and transport protocols, the
   2110 suite is heavily dependent on IETF RFCs.

   The normative list of IETF standards upon which SMPTE 2110 depends
   upon is list below.  The actual list is much greater as the
   fundamental IP network upon which 2110 runs depends on an extensive
   list of RFCs.  The ones specificall cited here are those RFCs which
   are cited explicitly by the 2110 suite documentation.

   The 2110 suite is an important set of standards which are used by
   professional video environments including production of broadcast
   news, sports, as well as TV shows.

3.  SMPTE 2110 Normative References to IETF standards

Deen                     Expires January 9, 2020                [Page 2]

Internet-Draft       SMPTE 2110 Normative References           July 2019

3.1.  SMTPE 2110-10

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 768 User Datagram
      Protocol RFC 768 [RFC0768]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 791 Internet Protocol
      RFC 791 [RFC0791]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 2460 Internet Protocol,
      Version 6 (IPv6) Specification RFC 2460 [RFC2460]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3550 RTP: A Transport
      Protocol for Real-Time Applications RFC 3550 [RFC3550]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3551 RTP Profile for
      Audio and Video Conferences with Minimal Control RFC 3551
      [RFC3551]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3376 Internet Group
      Management Protocol, Version 3 RFC 3376 [RFC3376]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 4566 SDP: Session
      Description Protocol RFC 4566 [RFC4566]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 4604 Using Internet
      Group Management Protocol Version 3 (IGMPv3) and Multicast
      Listener Discovery Protocol Version 2 (MLDv2) for Source-Specific
      Multicast RFC 4604 [RFC4604]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 7104 Duplication
      Grouping Semantics in the Session Description Protocol RFC 7104
      [RFC7104]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 7273 RTP clock Source
      Signaling RFC 7273 [RFC7273]

3.2.  SMTPE 2110-40

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 768 User Datagram
      Protocol RFC 768 [RFC0768]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 791 Internet Protocol
      RFC 791 [RFC0791]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 2460 Internet Protocol,
      Version 6 (IPv6) Specification RFC 2460 [RFC2460]

Deen                     Expires January 9, 2020                [Page 3]

Internet-Draft       SMPTE 2110 Normative References           July 2019

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3550 RTP: A Transport
      Protocol for Real-Time Applications RFC 3550 [RFC3550]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3551 RTP Profile for
      Audio and Video Conferences with Minimal Control RFC 3551
      [RFC3551]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3376 Internet Group
      Management Protocol, Version 3 RFC 3376 [RFC3376]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 4566 SDP: Session
      Description Protocol RFC 4566 [RFC4566]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 4604 Using Internet
      Group Management Protocol Version 3 (IGMPv3) and

   o  Multicast Listener Discovery Protocol Version 2 (MLDv2) for
      Source-Specific Multicast RFC 4604 [RFC4604]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 7104 Duplication
      Grouping Semantics in the Session Description Protocol RFC 7104
      [RFC7104]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 7273 RTP clock Source
      Signaling RFC 7273 [RFC7273]

3.3.  SMTPE 2110-31

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3550 RTP: A Transport
      Protocol for Real-Time Applications RFC 3550 [RFC3550]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3551 RTP Profile for
      Audio and Video Conferences with Minimal Control RFC 3551
      [RFC3551]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 4566 SDP: Session
      Description Protocol.  RFC 4566 [RFC4566]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 8285 A General
      Mechanism for RTP Header Extensions.  RFC 8285 [RFC8285]

3.4.  SMTPE 2110-30

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3190 RTP Payload Format
      for 12-bit DAT Audio and 20- and 24-bit Linear Sampled Audio
      RFC 3190 [RFC3190]

Deen                     Expires January 9, 2020                [Page 4]

Internet-Draft       SMPTE 2110 Normative References           July 2019

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 4566 SDP: Session
      Description Protocol RFC 4566 [RFC4566]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 3550 RTP: A Transport
      Protocol for Real-Time Applications RFC 3550 [RFC3550]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 4566 SDP: Session
      Description Protocol RFC 4566 [RFC4566]

   o  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 5285 A General
      Mechanism for RTP Header Extensions RFC 5285 [RFC5285]

4.  Acknowledgements

5.  IANA Considerations

   None

6.  Security Considerations

   None

7.  Normative References

   [RFC0768]  Postel, J., "User Datagram Protocol", STD 6, RFC 768,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC0768, August 1980,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc768>.

   [RFC0791]  Postel, J., "Internet Protocol", STD 5, RFC 791,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC0791, September 1981,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc791>.

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC2119, March 1997,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc2119>.

   [RFC2460]  Deering, S. and R. Hinden, "Internet Protocol, Version 6
              (IPv6) Specification", RFC 2460, DOI 10.17487/RFC2460,
              December 1998, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc2460>.

   [RFC3190]  Kobayashi, K., Ogawa, A., Casner, S., and C. Bormann, "RTP
              Payload Format for 12-bit DAT Audio and 20- and 24-bit
              Linear Sampled Audio", RFC 3190, DOI 10.17487/RFC3190,
              January 2002, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3190>.

Deen                     Expires January 9, 2020                [Page 5]

Internet-Draft       SMPTE 2110 Normative References           July 2019

   [RFC3376]  Cain, B., Deering, S., Kouvelas, I., Fenner, B., and A.
              Thyagarajan, "Internet Group Management Protocol, Version
              3", RFC 3376, DOI 10.17487/RFC3376, October 2002,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3376>.

   [RFC3550]  Schulzrinne, H., Casner, S., Frederick, R., and V.
              Jacobson, "RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time
              Applications", STD 64, RFC 3550, DOI 10.17487/RFC3550,
              July 2003, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3550>.

   [RFC3551]  Schulzrinne, H. and S. Casner, "RTP Profile for Audio and
              Video Conferences with Minimal Control", STD 65, RFC 3551,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC3551, July 2003,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3551>.

   [RFC4566]  Handley, M., Jacobson, V., and C. Perkins, "SDP: Session
              Description Protocol", RFC 4566, DOI 10.17487/RFC4566,
              July 2006, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc4566>.

   [RFC4604]  Holbrook, H., Cain, B., and B. Haberman, "Using Internet
              Group Management Protocol Version 3 (IGMPv3) and Multicast
              Listener Discovery Protocol Version 2 (MLDv2) for Source-
              Specific Multicast", RFC 4604, DOI 10.17487/RFC4604,
              August 2006, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc4604>.

   [RFC5285]  Singer, D. and H. Desineni, "A General Mechanism for RTP
              Header Extensions", RFC 5285, DOI 10.17487/RFC5285, July
              2008, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5285>.

   [RFC7104]  Begen, A., Cai, Y., and H. Ou, "Duplication Grouping
              Semantics in the Session Description Protocol", RFC 7104,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC7104, January 2014,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7104>.

   [RFC7273]  Williams, A., Gross, K., van Brandenburg, R., and H.
              Stokking, "RTP Clock Source Signalling", RFC 7273,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC7273, June 2014,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7273>.

   [RFC8285]  Singer, D., Desineni, H., and R. Even, Ed., "A General
              Mechanism for RTP Header Extensions", RFC 8285,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC8285, October 2017,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8285>.

   [SMTPE2110]
              SMTPE, Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers,
              "SMTPE2110 Standards Suite",
              <https://www.smpte.org/st-2110>.

Deen                     Expires January 9, 2020                [Page 6]

Internet-Draft       SMPTE 2110 Normative References           July 2019

Author's Address

   Glenn Deen
   Comcast-NBCUniversal

   Email: [email-masked]

Deen                     Expires January 9, 2020                [Page 7]