Subject: [Hash] UMAC and HMAC

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:17:12 -0700

In the process of reviewing some other documents a question has occurred to
me.  If we are looking at the different places where hash functions are used
during phase 2 of the charter work, should we include a section in these
documents deal with other methods of acheving these aims?  Thus should we,
at least in a cursory fashion, deal with items such as HMAC and UMAC for
message authentication problems?

Jim

_______________________________________________
Hash mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hash

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:17:25 -0400

Jim:

These have very different requirements.  My preference is to focus on the 
one-way hash function for this charter.  If your intuition turns out to be 
correct, then the charter can be expanded.

Russ