Subject: [Hipsec] cookie hash target no longer needed

From: [email-masked] (Henderson, Thomas R)
Date: Tue Aug 5 14:29:02 2003

Pekka,
With the new cookie procedure, there is no longer any need to send hash target
in the Birthday_Cookie parameter.

See below changes to the draft-07.

Tom

*** draft-moskowitz-hip-07.txt	2003-07-01 18:12:21.000000000 -0700
--- draft-moskowitz-hip-07-bis.txt	2003-08-05 10:14:14.000000000 -0700
***************
*** 664,670 ****
     concatenation of I, the HITs of the parties, and J, and take a SHA-1
     hash over this concatenation.  The lowest order K bits of the result
     MUST be zeros.  To accomplish this, the Initiator will have to
-    generate a number of Js until one produces the hash target.  The
+    generate a number of Js until one produces the hash target of zero.  The
  
***************
*** 1373,1393 ****
        | Random # J or K, 8 bytes                                      |
        |                                                               |
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
-       | Hash Target, 8 bytes                                          |
-       |                                                               |
-       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  
        Type         2 (in R1) or 3 (in I2)
-       Length       36
+       Length       28
        Reserved     Zero when sent, ignored when received
        Birthday     System boot counter
        Random # I   random number
        K or         K is the number of verified bits (in R1 packet)
        Random # J   random number (in I2 packet)
-       Hash Target  calculated hash value
  
-    Birthday, Random #I, K, Random #J, and Hash Target are in network
-    byte order.
+    Birthday, Random #I, K, and Random #J are in network byte order.