Subject: [Hipsec] Re: Solving the right problems ...

From: [email-masked] (Andrew McGregor)
Date: Thu Aug 28 22:44:00 2003

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

- --On Thursday, August 28, 2003 07:05:19 PM +0200 Iljitsch van Beijnum 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> On woensdag, aug 27, 2003, at 19:51 Europe/Amsterdam, Fred Templin wrote:
>
>>> The hard part is coming up with a way to do the host/location mapping
>>> in a way that is simple, fast, cheap, secure, flexible and reliable.
>
>> Wouldn't we all start deploying, e.g., HIP tomorrow if we had a
>> solution for this?
>
> I'm not exactly current on what's happening with HIP but aren't there
> supposed to be working implementations today?

There are.  Four of them, in fact, but none are yet production quality.

If anyone wants to play or read some code, these are the available ones:

<http://gaijin.iki.fi/hipl/> Linux USAGI, IPv6 only

<http://www.hip4inter.net/index.shtml> NetBSD, dual stack

<http://www.sharemation.com/adm01bass/pyhip-2003-07-19.tar.bz2> Linux, 
Python in userspace (therefore needs no kernel IPSEC), dual stack

There are drafts about the various mappings, but no implementation yet.

There are also ideas around about how to transparently autodetect HIP 
support in the responder, with no a-priori knowledge.

The (new) hipsec mailing list is at 
<http://honor.trusecure.com/mailman/listinfo/hipsec>.

Andrew