Subject: [Hipsec] Pre-1 version of draft-moskowitz-hip-09

From: [email-masked] (Petri Jokela)
Date: Fri Dec 12 06:47:01 2003

I uploaded the current version (-09-pre1) of the hip draft to hip4inter.net:

http://hip4inter.net/documentation/drafts/draft-moskowitz-hip-09-pre1.txt

What has happened:

Issue #9 Diffie-Hellman:
========================

We have discussed about those groups and we propose now a new set of groups:

- A new 384-bit group

This group does not actually yet exist, but the reasoning behind a 
"weaker" group is that the 768-bit may be too heavy for some PDAs. As 
Julien earlier wrote, the calculation with 768-bit may take almost 6 
seconds. In many cases, this is not acceptable. If this new weaker group 
is accepted, the values must be generated.

- removed 1K, 2K and 4K groups

If there are many groups in SHOULD category, some of them will 
disappear. Thus, it may be better to limit the number of groups now.

- defined 1 and 3 as mandatory.

The gid 5 is a SHOULD+, meaning "almost-MUST": this should exist on all 
hosts except on some PDAs. The rest of the groups are normal "SHOULD". I 
don't know how to write this down, my brains just refuse to co-operate 
with me when writing this text.

Any opinions on the new group ID structure or on the new text (I'm more 
than happy if I get some better text...)

Issue #2  Parameter numbering
=============================

Changed according to the patch sent by Miika.

Issue #3 Section 9 and 11 rewriting
===================================

Changed section 9 and new 11.1 and 11.2.

Issue #6 ENCRYPTED
==================

I added one sentence in 6.2.15 (first paragraph): "Each of the TLVs to 
be encrypted, must be padded according to rules in 6.2.1 before 
encryption." I tried to clarify the current situation, so that there 
would not be any different views, how TLVs exist inside the encrypted part.

Issue #5 State machine
======================

This is still in its original format. There seems to be pressure to fix 
the "unknown SPI, send R1" problem, thus I didn't yet change anything here.

OTHER:
======

Few typos fixed.

Ltrunc clarification added in 4.1.1: the ltrunc as a function is not 
necessarily unambiguous, thus I added one sentence to clarify the function.

Open issues can be found from

http://hip4inter.net/issues

userid: guest
passwd: guest

Group: Host Identity Protocol (there is also a group for mobility and 
multihoming issues)

/petri

---

From: [email-masked] (Petri Jokela)
Date: Tue Dec 23 02:24:00 2003

> http://hip4inter.net/documentation/drafts/draft-moskowitz-hip-09-pre1.txt

XML2RFC script cut some stuff away from the draft, so I had to run it 
again. On the web-site, there is now a new version of the txt-file 
(still under the same name), a html-version and a diff between -08 and 
-09-pre1.

Issue-tracker broke down for some reason. I hope I get the new tracker 
up and running before 2004.

/petri

-- 
Petri Jokela                        Tel:    +358 9 299 2413
Research scientist                  Fax:    +358 9 299 3535
NomadicLab, Ericsson Research       Mobile: +358 44 299 2413
Oy L M Ericsson Ab                  email: [email-masked]