Subject: [Hipsec] Question about how to test the HIP implementation in FreeBSD-5.1

From: [email-masked] (Juan Rodriguez Hervella)
Date: Fri Jan 23 12:43:01 2004

Hello,

I've followed the README guide to set up the HIP protocol, but
I don't know how to test it.=20

=46rom the README:

"After the script has completed a key pair has been generated to /etc/hip. =
The
files have been named according to HITs. Now one should add this HIT to the
network interface using ifconfig e.g.
ifconfig xl0 inet6 7a18:361c:e42b:e4d3:e847:19c8:d432:3c62 prefixlen 2 alia=
s"

Question: why do you need to assign the HIT to a specific interface ?
If I understand it correctly, HITs are global identifiers, so all the possi=
ble
HITs should belong to all possible interfaces.... =BFis it possible to assi=
gn
the same HIT to more than one interface ?=20

"Now just use applications as normally you would and if the peer's host name
resolves to a HIT-IP-pair then a HIP negotiation will be triggered by the
IPSec policy."

How can I make this resolution happen ? Would you mind explaining this
with a little more precision ? An example would be great (^--^)

Thanks!