Subject: [Hipsec] A proposal for the HIP related research group

From: [email-masked] (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Fri Jan 16 04:18:04 2004

In the discussions with the ADs during and after the Minneapolis
meeting, it was decided that it would be good to charter both
a fairly focused HIP WG and a longer term HIP related research
group.  The WG chartering is now being taken care by the ADs and
the to-be chairs, David and Gonzalo, and is on the IESG telechat
agenda next week.

What comes to the RG, an initial proposal for the HIP related
research group charter is now available at

   http://www.tml.hut.fi/~pnr/HIP/hip_rg_charter_proposal_040114.html

Please send your comments to the list.

While the IESG charters working groups, the process is different
with IRTF research groups.  Basically, the charter is discussed
with the IRTF chair, Vern Paxon, and the IAB.  Vern has already
initiated some discussing with the IAB, but Tom and I haven't
received any comments from them yet.

My assumption is that the final RG charter will be based on this
proposal, modified to take into account the comments from IAB
and this list.

--Pekka Nikander

---

From: [email-masked] (Miika Komu)
Date: Fri Jan 16 11:39:02 2004

> Please send your comments to the list.

RG proposal sounds good to me.

-- 
Miika Komu              [email-masked]          http://www.iki.fi/miika/

---

From: [email-masked] (Gonzalo Camarillo)
Date: Sat Jan 17 03:54:00 2004

Pekka,

I would not mention the policy of our mailing list in the charter, since 
it is something that might change very easily. If the level of SPAM 
raises over a certain level, for example, the mailing list might need to 
become a subscribers-only mailing list.

I do not know how fast you can update RG charters, but if it is as slow 
as the process for updating WG charters in the IETF, you will be better 
off removing any information that can change so easily.

The rest of the charter proposal looks good to me.

Gonzalo

Pekka Nikander wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Hipsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://honor.trusecure.com/mailman/listinfo/hipsec
>

---

From: Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked] (Spencer Dawkins)
Date: Tue Jan 20 03:04:01 2004

Gonzalo is exactly right.

If you guys would spend about fifteen minutes looking at
http://www.postel.org/pipermail/end2end-interest/2004-January/thread.html,
you would close that list to non-member postings faster than you can
type the commands.

Please pay special attention to the monthly begging, onlist, that the
list be closed to non-member posting, that has gone on for as long as
I can remember.

I unsubscribed about a month ago, because I was tired of more than
half my spam arriving from end2end.

I really believe Joe Touch is making every effort to make non-member
posting work for end2end. But even if you work as hard as Joe does,
and your subscribers all filter all the spam themselves, your archives
will be unusable. Unless your research group members also want to
enlarge body parts. Then, the archives would be pretty handy.

IMHO.

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Gonzalo Camarillo" <[email-masked]>
To: "Pekka Nikander (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; "Thomas Henderson"
<[email-masked]>; "Vern Paxson" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 3:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Hipsec] A proposal for the HIP related research group

---

From: [email-masked] (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Tue Jan 20 09:05:01 2004

I've now updated the RG charter proposal, removing the line
about ML policy.  The new proposal is available at

http://www.tml.hut.fi/~pnr/HIP/hip_rg_charter_proposal_040120.html

If there are no other comments from this list, we basically
need a good acronym and name.

I hereby open a competition for inventing a name for the RG.
I'll buy a beer at Seoul to the person that proposes the name
that I personally think is the best one.  (Note, however, that
the name that will be adopted may be different from the one
that I will prefer :-))

--Pekka Nikander

---

From: [email-masked] (Kristian Slavov)
Date: Wed Jan 21 09:08:01 2004

> need a good acronym and name.

No suggestions yet, so I'll start:
SLIP - Separating Locators and Identities in Protocols

> I'll buy a beer at Seoul to the person that proposes the name

I wont be in Seoul, so in case I win, I think Miika will be more than happy to 
collect the prize :)

-- 
Kristian Slavov
Research Assistant
Helsinki Institute for Information Technology
Gsm: +358-40-7220960

---

From: [email-masked] (Julien Laganier)
Date: Wed Jan 21 10:48:01 2004

> SLIP - Separating Locators and Identities in Protocols

I like SLIP. BTW, permutting letters a bit:

SPLIT - Separating Protocols Identifier and Locator Tags

--julien