Subject: [Hipsec] HIP firewalling

From: [email-masked] (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Mon Feb 16 05:46:00 2004

Senthil,

> As a side note, how is HIP going to allow port blocking? Will it avoid
> worm attacks by its puzzle mechanism. I don't think it is possible (but
> it can reduce its spawning speed.)

You can build a HIP firewall that uses HIs as the level of
granularity.  Beyond that, on the port level, you have to
do locally at the host.  But that's the right way to do it
anyway, IMHO.  The current worms and other internet fauna
are a problem that SHOULD NOT be handled at the network level
but by the operating system.

Do you expect to run HIP in your Win98 box?

--Pekka N.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student))
Date: Mon Feb 16 06:05:01 2004

> but by the operating system.
 
The patch solution has its limitations. If i am a network admin, i have
to track the infected hosts, wake up the user, convince them that it is
really a problem, then ask him to patch his OS, and then allow the user
to play with his machine. It is not a day's work but sometimes goes in
the order of months. port blocking will fix the problem quickly, OTOH.
So, IAB's recent port blocking concerns did not consider the total 
picture.

> Do you expect to run HIP in your Win98 box?

of course. my school just provides windoze machine(and run linux through 
emulation,VMware etc.)  Is IETF just support non-windoze platforms? ;-)