Subject: [Hipsec] Preliminary version of draft-moskowitz-hip-09

From: [email-masked] (Ahrenholz, Jeffrey M)
Date: Fri Feb 6 11:35:01 2004

I think the new text looks good. The only part that seems a little
unclear to me is (from 8.3.1 HMAC calculation):

>     1.  Create the HIP packet, without the HMAC and possibly following
>         HIP_SIGNATURE or HIP_SIGNATURE2 TLVs.
...
>     4.  Add the HMAC TLV to the packet following possible
HIP_SIGNATURE
>         or HIP_SIGNATURE2 TLVs.

I would write something like:
     "1.  Create the HIP packet, without the HMAC or any possible
          HIP_SIGNATURE or HIP_SIGNATURE2 TLVs.
...
      4.  Add the HMAC TLV to the packet and any HIP_SIGNATURE or=20
          HIP_SIGNATURE2 TLVs that may follow."

The main idea being that the HMAC follows the packet, which is followed
by a signature if needed, and the signature is computed over the
packet+HMAC.

-Jeff