Subject: [Hipsec] MM: Using UPDATEs for RR

From: [email-masked] (Mika Kousa)
Date: Mon May 3 08:39:04 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Jonathan Wood wrote:

-> ...
-> Since the update ID increases by one each time and starts at 1, it is
-> easy to guess.
-> ...

Just a minor thing came to my mind:

The section 6.2.13 NES in the draft-10pre1 says about UPDATE ID
"Initialized to zero and incremented for each UPDATE." When sending the
first UPDATE packet, should this be interpreted as "The first UPDATE
packet has ID 0 and the counter is increased after the UPDATE packet is
sent" or "the UPDATE ID counter is first increased and then this increased
value (1) is used in the UPDATE packet to be sent out" ?

---

From: [email-masked] (Mika Kousa)
Date: Mon May 3 09:20:01 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Mika Kousa wrote:

-> The section 6.2.13 NES in the draft-10pre1 says about UPDATE ID
-> "Initialized to zero and incremented for each UPDATE." When sending the
-> first UPDATE packet, should this be interpreted as "The first UPDATE
-> packet has ID 0 and the counter is increased after the UPDATE packet is
-> sent" or "the UPDATE ID counter is first increased and then this increased
-> value (1) is used in the UPDATE packet to be sent out" ?

Ah, I'll have to answer to myself. Section 8.9 Initiating rekeying of the
draft says that "The system MUST increment its outgoing UPDATE ID counter"
before "The system sends the UPDATE packet", so the the first ID value is
really 1 and there is no more possibilities for misunderstanding the
interpretation. Case closed.