Subject: [Hipsec] Base HIP: issue #34, 384-bit group

From: [email-masked] (Petri Jokela)
Date: Wed May 19 00:46:00 2004

We have now the 384-bit group, generated by Tero Kivinen. Thanks!

We have discussed where to put the actual definition, and the best place 
seems to be the base specification. So, I propose to add the group 
definition in an Appendix and close the issue:

--8<---

Appendix G.  384-bit group

    Note that the 384-bit group is defined only to be used with HIP.  The
    security level of this group is low and it is designed to be used
    only when the host is not powerful enough (e.g. some PDAs) or when
    lower security is enough for protecting communication (e.g. web
    surfing).

    This prime is: 2^384 - 2^320 - 1 + 2^64 * { [ 2^254 pi] + 5857 }

    Its hexadeciaml value is:

         FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF C90FDAA2 2168C234 C4C6628B 80DC1CD1
         29024E08 8A67CC74 020BBEA6 3B13B202 FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF

    The generator is: 2.

--8<---

---

From: [email-masked] (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Wed May 19 03:35:01 2004

> We have discussed where to put the actual definition, and the best 
> place seems to be the base specification. So, I propose to add the 
> group definition in an Appendix and close the issue:

Looks good to me.

--Pekka

---

From: [email-masked] (Petri Jokela)
Date: Wed May 19 04:36:01 2004

Tero Kivinen wrote:
> Petri Jokela writes:
> I would recommend even stronger language about the weakness of the
> group... 

Some editions and I made a change in the usage: OR => AND.

         This 384-bit group is defined only to be used with HIP.  NOTE:
         The security level of this group is very low!  The encryption
         may be broken in a very short time, even real-time.  It should
         be used only when the host is not powerful enough (e.g. some
         PDAs) and when security requirements are low (e.g. during normal
         web surfing).

/petri

---

From: [email-masked] (Tero Kivinen)
Date: Wed May 19 08:51:00 2004

> We have now the 384-bit group, generated by Tero Kivinen. Thanks!

Remember that the strength of that group is about the same than than
cipher having key size of 40-50 bits, so assume that it will be broken
in few minutes or even in real time... 

-- 
[email-masked]