Subject: [Hipsec] Base HIP, issue #29: type 2 HITs

From: [email-masked] (Petri Jokela)
Date: Tue May 11 00:17:00 2004

The current pre-version of the draft defines type 1 HITs mandatory, but
still refers to type 2 HITs that will be defined in the DNS draft. Will
this be the case in the DNS draft?

IF the DNS draft will define the HIT containing a HAA, this issue could be
closed. Else we should remove the reference to the DNS draft and change
the text.

Comments?

/petri

-- 
Petri Jokela                        Tel:    +358 9 299 2413
Research scientist                  Fax:    +358 9 299 3535
NomadicLab, Ericsson Research       Mobile: +358 44 299 2413
Oy L M Ericsson Ab                  email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Julien Laganier)
Date: Tue May 11 03:12:01 2004

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 05:09, Petri Jokela wrote:
> The current pre-version of the draft defines type 1 HITs mandatory,
> but still refers to type 2 HITs that will be defined in the DNS
> draft. Will this be the case in the DNS draft?

In the -00pre1 DNS draft I've almost finished, there's still type 2 
HITs defined. 

I do not really have any opinion on whether or not they should exist 
at all... However, I think that, until we run out of space for type 1 
HITs, it might be better to keep the door open. We'll anyway be able 
to deprecate them latter if we find them useless.

> IF the DNS draft will define the HIT containing a HAA, this issue
> could be closed. Else we should remove the reference to the DNS
> draft and change the text.

So what is the WG's feeling? I'll act accordingly: keep/remove these 
type 2 HIT and HAA from the DNS draft.

Thanks,

--julien

---

From: [email-masked] (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Tue May 11 04:37:01 2004

> type 2 HIT and HAA from the DNS draft.

I think that Type 2 HITs and the HAA field are pretty useful
for the time being.  Once/if we get DHTs/overlays working, the
day may come when we don't need them any more.  But before that,
they are probably useful.  Hence, if the design is simple and useful,
let's keep them.

--Pekka