Subject: [Hipsec] Looking for volunteers to help in Mac OS X version of HIP

From: [email-masked] (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Tue Sep 7 11:05:02 2004

Folks,

During the last month I have ported the Ericsson FreeBSD HIP
implementation to Mac OS X.  It is organised as two kernel
extensions (BEET and HIP), a user mode daemon (hipd) and a
couple of utilities (hip-keygen and hipctrl).  The main
difference between this version and the original FreeBSD
version is the following:
- In the FreeBSD version, the BEET changes are integrated
   into the IPsec and PF_KEY code, thereby requiring you
   to run a custom kernel.
- In this version, the BEET changes are implemented as an
   add-on kernel extension on the top of the existing IPsec
   and PF_KEY code, thereby allowing you to run the code
   with the standard kernel.
Our plan is to continue with the integrated BEET approach
for FreeBSD 5.  However, right now the Mac OS X and FreeBSD
code are slightly out of synch.  We will clear this and
synchronise the code bases during the next few weeks.

Our current plan is to release all the user level code under
GPL and the kernel code under the BSD license, but we are
pending the final decision on the exact licensing terms.
(The user level code was earlier and still is released under an
OSS-compatible but not formally OSS-endorsed license, specific
to Ericsson Finland.)

I am now at the stage where basically all the code has been
written but some minor ESP integration that still missing in the
BEET module.  I am able to run the HIP base exchange successfully,
but shortly afterwards the kernel crashes due to something
going wrong with mbufs.

Unfortunately I cannot continue this work with the intensity
that I've been doing it for the last month.  Hence, I am
looking for volunteers to help with the work.

At this point I am only looking for people who preferably
have two Mac OS X machines (or one Mac OS X and one
Linux/FreeBSD machine) so that they can use the Apple
remote GDB functionality, and who have some familiarity
with BSD kernels.  Also people that are interested in
back-porting the code to FreeBSD 4 or other versions of
BSD are welcome to start.

The code is available through an anonymous pserver read-only /
authenticated ssh read-write cvs repository.  Once the licensing
terms have been cleared, I will publicly announce the repository.
Before that, we will also feed the integrated BEET code, for
FreeBSD 5, to the repository.  However, I am more than happy to
give the login info to those willing to work actively already now.

Please contact me directly if you are interested.

--Pekka