Subject: Re: [Hipsec] changes to base spec? (fwd)

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:16:30 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Petri Jokela wrote:

> Problem 1 & solution:
>
> Adding the nonce to I1 and R1 is not a big problem, but I currently
> can't see much help of it. The attacker should know when the I1 is sent
> from the initiator and send the R1 at a suitable moment. The attacker,
> being not on the path, does not know when the I1 is sent, so it must
> just guess when to attack. Maybe there are cases, when this is easy to
> do and I just can't see them now...
>
> If the attacker is on the path, it gets the nonce in I1, in which case
> there is naturally no protection from that.

Agree, seems like this is rather difficult to achieve in practice because
there are so many obstacles for the attack (prebuilt R1 lifetime, prebuilt
R1 indexing based on IP addreses, guessing the proper attack time,
expiration time of existing SAs). Maybe it should be at least mentioned in
the appendix.

-- 
Miika Komu              [email-masked]          http://www.iki.fi/miika/

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec