Subject: [Hipsec] New HIP draft: Lightweight HIP

From: Tobias Heer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:30:22 +0100

Hello,

there is a new HIP related draft which might be interesting for many  
people as it focusses on reducing the computational complexity of HIP  
(HIP without public-key)  while still allowing safe mobility and  
multihoming updates from new IP addresses. The draft aims at making  
HIP available to CPU-restricted devices, thus, broadening the scope  
of HIP to become a multi purpose protocol which allows hosts to use  
strong cryptography but does not necessarily require them to do so.

The abstract of the draft is attached at the end of this mail. The  
draft is available here:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-heer-hip-lhip-00.txt

I'd be glad to receive feedback and to participate in any discussions  
about Lightweight HIP.

Best regards,

Tobias

Abstract:
    This document specifies the Lightweight authentication extension for
    the Host Identifier Protocol (LHIP).  The goal of LHIP is to reduce
    the computational requirements of the Host Identifier Protocol  
(HIP),
    thus, making its benefits, such as end-host mobility and  
multihoming,
    accessible to CPU-restricted devices.  LHIP reduces the  
computational
    cost of establishing, updating, and closing a HIP association by
    providing an alternative way of signing and verifying HIP control
    packets which is based on computationally inexpensive hash function
    computations and hash chains.  However, LHIP does not provide nor
    does it aim at providing the same level of security as HIP does.
    Especially, host authentication and payload encryption are not
    possible.  The LHIP extensions in this draft specify also mechanisms
    for dynamic transitioning between lightweight and full HIP
    associations on the fly.

-- Dipl.-Inform. Tobias Heer, Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Group
RWTH Aachen University, Germany
http://ds.cs.rwth-aachen.de/members/heer

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec