Subject: [Hipsec] I-D on using HIP for P2PSIP:

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:49:02 -0400

Folks:

I would like to call your attention to a draft that was just  
submitted to the P2PSIP working group.
This document proposes to use HIP as the basis in forming a P2PSIP  
overlay network.

The draft is a high-level draft that is trying to sell the P2PSIP  
group on the idea of using HIP, rather than a detailed design. So we  
simply sketch the ideas in a broad fashion, rather than giving  
precise details. However, the authors still feel the draft will  
likely be of interest to the HIP community.

In particular, what is likely of greatest interest are the four HIP  
extensions that the draft proposes:
*  Defining how to route HIP packets though intermediate peers in an  
overlay;
*  Adding a new HIP packet type (which we call the Data packet) to  
transport upper-layer protocols
    in the overlay when the transmission path goes through one or  
more intermediate peers;
*  Extending the procedures for establishing a HIP association to the  
case where a peer wants to join an overlay;
*  Proposing alternative transport stack for protocols where running  
over ESP is undesirable (e.g. Secure RTP transport of voice packets).

The authors would be very interested in getting feedback from the HIP  
community on these proposed extensions.

 From a HIP prospective, what is interesting is that this approach  
provides a motivation for people to use HIP, because it is using HIP  
in a "closed" system: a peer-to-peer overlay.

The document was just submitted on the weekend, and had not yet  
appeared in archives when this was written.
Until it does, you can get a copy at:
	http://www.magma.ca/~philip_matthews/draft-matthews-p2psip-hip- 
hop-00.txt
or an HTML version at:
	http://www.magma.ca/~philip_matthews/draft-matthews-p2psip-hip- 
hop-00.htm

- Philip

[I am cross-posting this to the HIP RG list, but after discussion  
with Gonzalo, we think that the HIP WG mailing list is the best place  
to discuss the details of the proposed HIP extensions. However, if  
you have any general comments on the suitability of HIP for P2PSIP,  
or general comments on the draft, then those comments are best  
directed to the P2PSIP list.]

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:58:08 +0200

Hi Philip,

Just to let you know: We have a P2PSIP prototype already using HIP  
for building and running the overlay.

  Martin

> directed to the P2PSIP list.]

[email-masked]
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road,  
London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014

---

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:42:13 -0400

Hi Martin:

Very interesting!

Can you share any details on your prototype?
Is it similar to our proposal?

- Philip