Subject: [Hipsec] Minor correction to hip-base

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 09:57:49 +0200

draft-hip-base states today as follows:

>    Responder's HIT Hash Algorithm (RHASH):   hash algorithm used for
>       various hash calculations in this document.  The algorithm is  
> the
>       same as is used to generate the Responder's HIT.  RHASH can be
>       determined by inspecting the Prefix of the ORCHID (HIT).  The
>       Prefix value has a one-to-one mapping to a hash function.

RFC 4843 states, on the other hand, as follows:

>  Hash_function   : The one-way hash function (i.e., hash function with
>                      pre-image resistance and second pre-image
>                      resistance) to be used according to the document
>                      defining the context usage identified by the
>                      Context ID.  For example, the current version of
>                      the HIP specification defines SHA1 [RFC 3174] as
>                      the hash function to be used to generate ORCHIDs
>                      used in the HIP protocol [HIP-BASE].

That is, in RFC 4843 RHASH is identified by the Context ID, which is,
in turn, defined in hip-base.

So, the definition of RHASH needs to be updated as follows:

    Responder's HIT Hash Algorithm (RHASH):   hash algorithm used for
       various hash calculations in this document.  The algorithm is the
       same as is used to generate the Responder's HIT.  RHASH is
       defined by the Orchid Context ID.  For HIP, the present RHASH
       algorithm is defined in Section 3.2.  A future version of HIP
       may define a new RHASH algorithm by defining a new Context ID.

I don't know what is the right process for this, now that the doc is  
past IESG.

--Pekka Nikander

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:47:58 -0800

This looks fairly important, so I have added it as an RFC Editor's note 
- it should be fixed when he RFC Editor edits the document. WG, if there 
is any objection to this change, please let me know ASAP.

- Mark

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:43:13 -0800

The text works for me.

Jari

Mark Townsley kirjoitti:
>
> This looks fairly important, so I have added it as an RFC Editor's
> note - it should be fixed when he RFC Editor edits the document. WG,
> if there is any objection to this change, please let me know ASAP.
>
> - Mark
>
> Pekka Nikander wrote:

---

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:08:53 +0100

Mark,

The change is fine with me. 

Pekka, thanks for catching this!

--julien

On Wednesday 05 December 2007, Mark Townsley wrote:
> >>    Responder's HIT Hash Algorithm (RHASH):   hash algorithm used
> >> for various hash calculations in this document.  The algorithm is
> >> the same as is used to generate the Responder's HIT.  RHASH can be
> >>  Hash_function   : The one-way hash function (i.e., hash function
> >> with pre-image resistance and second pre-image resistance) to be
> >> used according to the document defining the context usage
> >> identified by the Context ID.  For example, the current version of
> >> the HIP specification defines SHA1 [RFC 3174] as the hash function
> >> to be used to generate ORCHIDs used in the HIP protocol
> >> [HIP-BASE].
> >
> > That is, in RFC 4843 RHASH is identified by the Context ID, which
> > is, in turn, defined in hip-base.
> >
> >    Responder's HIT Hash Algorithm (RHASH):   hash algorithm used
> > for various hash calculations in this document.  The algorithm is
> > the same as is used to generate the Responder's HIT.  RHASH is
> > algorithm is defined in Section 3.2.  A future version of HIP may
> > define a new RHASH algorithm by defining a new Context ID.
> >
> > I don't know what is the right process for this, now that the doc
> > is past IESG.
> >
> > --Pekka Nikander
>