Subject: [Hipsec] Comments on draft-ietf-hip-cert-01.txt

From: Ari Keranen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:43:35 +0300

Hi,

Here's some comments/editorial nits on the HIP Certificates draft. 
Indented text is copy-pasted from the draft.

1. Introduction

    This document specifies the CERT parameter that
    is used to transmit digital signatures in HIP.  It corresponds to the
    placeholder specified in Section 2 of [RFC5201].

You probably mean "Section 5.2" here.

2. CERT Parameter

     For grouping Cert parameters,

s/Cert/CERT/

    Initiator and
    Responder can detect middleboxes on the path after R1 message is sent
    by checking if control packets contain ECHO_REQUEST_M parameters as
    defined in [HIP.middle_auth].

This comment seems a bit detached from the context. Maybe you should add 
some justification why would hosts want to detect middleboxes if they 
are using certificates. And I think you should mention that you can 
detect (only) *HIP* middleboxes that implement *and* use the middlebox 
authentication method like this.

Cheers,
Ari

---

From: Varjonen Samu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:06:00 +0300

> You probably mean "Section 5.2" here.

Yes, corrected into the sources.

>     For grouping Cert parameters,

Checked and corrected

> authentication method like this.

Have to think this a bit more and clarify this bit. The original need to 
notice if there is a middlebox traces back to Hash and URL encodings. We 
do not want to introduce extra work for middleboxes by caching or 
fetching the certificates.

Thanks for the comments.

BR,
Samu

> 
> Cheers,
> Ari
> _______________________________________________
> Hipsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec