Subject: [Hipsec] Document Action: 'Basic HIP Extensions for Traversal of Network Address Translators' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 01:22:04 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Basic HIP Extensions for Traversal of Network Address Translators '
   <draft-ietf-hip-nat-traversal-09.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hip-nat-traversal-09.txt

Technical Summary

    This document specifies extensions to the Host Identity Protocol
    (HIP) to facilitate Network Address Translator (NAT) traversal.  The
    extensions are based on the use of the Interactive Connectivity
    Establishment (ICE) methodology to discover a working path between
    two end-hosts, and on standard techniques for encapsulating
    Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) packets within the User Datagram
    Protocol (UDP).  This document also defines elements of procedure for
    NAT traversal, including the optional use of a HIP relay server.
    With these extensions HIP is able to work in environments that have
    NATs and provides a generic NAT traversal solution to higher-layer
    networking applications.

Working Group Summary

    There was nothing in the Working Group review process worth noting.

Document Quality

    There are at least two independent implementations of this document.
    These implementations have been tested against each other and are
    interoperable. The WG did not want to request the publication of this
    document before having independent interoperable implementations. That

    is why we did not requested the publication of this draft before.

Personnel

    Gonzalo Camarillo ([email-masked]) is the
    document shepherd.  Ralph Droms ([email-masked]) is the
    responsible AD.