Subject: [Hipsec] 4423-bis new section -- HIP and MAC Security

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:10:15 -0500

I am proposing a new section in 4423-bis.  Please comment/improve:

8.  HIP and MAC Security

   The IEEE 802 standards have been defining MAC layered security.  Many
   of these standards use EAP [ref!] as a Key Management System (KMS)
   transport, but some like IEEE 802.15.4 [ref!] leave the KMS and its
   transport as "Out of Scope".

   HIP is well suited as a KMS in these environments.

   o  HIP is independent of IP addressing and can be directly
      transported over any network protocol.

   o  Master Keys in 802 protocols are strictly pair-based with group
      keys transported from the group controller using pair-wise keys.

   o  AdHoc 802 networks can be better served by a peer-to-peer KMS than
      the EAP client/server model.

   o  Some devices are very memory constrained and a common KMS for both
      MAC and IP security represents a considerable code savings.

---

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:05:26 +0100

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi,

sounds ok to me.

> _______________________________________________
> Hipsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec