Subject: [Hipsec] Need to clarify HIT prefix

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 21:37:08 +0200

WHAT is the prefix used in HIPv1 (RFC 5201)?

RFC 4843 states:

    Prefix          : A constant 28-bit-long bitstring value
                      (2001:10::/28).

But 4843-bis states:

    IANA allocated a temporary non-routable 28-bit prefix from the IPv6
    address space.  By default, the prefix will be returned to IANA in
    2014, continued use requiring IETF consensus.  As per [RFC4773], the
    28-bit prefix was drawn out of the IANA Special Purpose Address
    Block, namely 2001:0000::/23, in support of the experimental usage
    described in this document.  IANA has updated the IPv6 Special
    Purpose Address Registry.

There is NOTHING in the IANA registry about any assignment.  But as I 
plowed through the iana assignment information, I found:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-unicast-address-assignments/ipv6-unicast-address-assignments.xml

[9]    3FFE:831F::/32 was used for Teredo in some old but widely
         distributed networking stacks. This usage is deprecated in 
favour of 2001::/32,
         which was allocated for the purpose in [RFC4380]

And sure enough in 4380:

2.6. Global Teredo IPv6 Service Prefix

    An IPv6 addressing prefix whose value is 2001:0000:/32.

 From this I MIGHT infer that Teredo is stepping within HIP's ORCHID 
allocation!

Obviously this needs some clarification (at least for me!)

AND

IANA needs to put in the registry what HIPv1 is using, and then make 
sure that the HIPv2 prefix is publicized.

---

From: Samu Varjonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 07:24:44 +0300

31.3.2011 22:37, Robert Moskowitz kirjoitti:
> distributed networking stacks. This usage is deprecated in favour of
> 2001::/32,

There is something similar going on with RFC 3849. The Nit-checker 
complained the following:

"
     == There are 2 instances of lines with non-RFC3849-compliant IPv6 
addresses
        in the document.  If these are example addresses, they should be 
changed.
"

> _______________________________________________
> Hipsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec