Subject: [Hipsec] Status of HIP implementation

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:24:56 +0300

Folks,

one of the questions we need to answer when requesting the publication
of the bis specs is the following:

> Are there existing implementations of the protocol? Have a significant
> number of vendors indicated their plan to implement the specification?

If you could send me an update on your implementation, or third-party
implementations you are aware of, that would be great. In particular, it
would be good to know which implementers intend to update their
implementations to comply with the Standards Track bis specs (as opposed
to implementations that are no being actively maintained any longer).

Thanks,

Gonzalo

---

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:50:09 +0300

Hi,

> to implementations that are no being actively maintained any longer).

HIP for Linux has already taken steps to update it's implementation. 
While some things remain to be updated (e.g. DNS proxy support), RWTH 
Aachen contributed ECDSA code and Xin Gu has implemented ECDH and other 
HIPv2 extensions. The latter part is still in the merging queue, but 
will be merged during the summer. During the transition, HIPL is going 
to support both HIPv1 and HIPv2.

Xin Gu's work has been documented here:

http://nordsecmob.aalto.fi/en/publications/theses_2012/gu-xin_thesis.pdf

His work also included extending HIP as an application-layer library. We 
mostly use it for loopback regression testing of the implementation.

Other references:

http://hipl.hiit.fi/
https://launchpad.net/hipl

---

From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 09:14:39 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Gonzalo Camarillo
> Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:25 AM
> To: HIP
> Subject: [Hipsec] Status of HIP implementation
> 
> Folks,
> 
> implementations you are aware of, that would be great. In particular,
> it would be good to know which implementers intend to update their
> implementations to comply with the Standards Track bis specs (as
> opposed to implementations that are no being actively maintained any
> longer).

OpenHIP (http://www.openhip.org) plans to support the bis specs, but work has not yet started.

- Tom