Subject: [Hipsec] Charter proposal

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 17:40:14 +0200

Hi,

please, find below a proposal to revise our charter. Please, send your
comments to this list.

Cheers,

Gonzalo

HIP WG Charter

The Host Identity Protocol (HIP) provides a method of separating the
end-point identifier and locator roles of IP addresses. It introduces
a new Host Identity (HI) name space, based on public keys, from which
end-point identifiers are taken. The public keys are typically, but
not necessarily, self generated. HIP uses existing IP addressing and
forwarding for locators and packet delivery.

The architecture and protocol details for these mechanisms were
originally specified in a set of Experimental RFCs, which include the
following:

o HIP Architecture (RFC 4423)
o Host Identity Protocol (RFC 5201)

There are several publicly-known interoperating HIP implementations,
some of which are open source.

The Experimental RFCs originally produced by the HIP WG allowed the
community to experiment with HIP technologies and learn from these
experiments.  The HIP WG then worked on producing standards track
versions of the main HIP RFCs taking as a base the original
Experimental RFCs. Some of the original Experimental RFCs have already
been revised as standard track RFCs.

The HIP WG will finish revising the original Experimental RFCs into
standards track RFCs. In particular, the WG will revise the mobility,
multihoming, NAT traversal, and architecture specifications.

Additionally, the HIP WG will specify a standards track mechanism to
perform a light-weight HIP exchange, which will be suitable to be used
in constrained environments.

After completing the work items above, the HIP WG will be closed.

---

From: Tom Henderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 15:43:36 -0800 (PST)

> please, find below a proposal to revise our charter. Please, send your

Gonzalo, I support the charter revisions and the addition of DEX to the charter.

- Tom