Subject: [Hipsec] HIP home stretch and new work for DRIP

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 09:27:00 -0400

HIPsters:

Miika and I have been working away to get NAT-traversal and DEX through 
the IESG and on to last call.  We are close....

That being said, hopefully you have noticed what is going on in the DRIP 
workgroup.

In My Highly Biased Opinion (IMHBO), and what is an Opinion, but a bias...

HITs are the only mechanism around that stand a chance to meet the 
constraints of Remote ID and provide trust.

Others, with enough hand-waving and infrastructure, can work for some 
groups of UAS.  None can work for all but the smallest UA that only 
support receive RF.

That bias said, Stu, Adam, and I have been busy putting together a 
number of drafts over in DRIP and a number here which open the question 
of rechartering HIP to meet the needs of DRIP.

Besides the HIP drafts, and the 'orphaned' ORCHID draft, there are also 
new ESP transforms to consider.

Do we need to updated 7402 of RFC 8750?
What about a new NIST lightweight cipher like Keyak (see new-crypto draft)?

Or do Jeff and I, as the HIP IANA experts just update the HIP registry 
with these transforms for ESP?  (well none assigned YET for Keyak, etc.)

Please voice your positions on these points so we can get things moving 
going into April.

Bob