Subject: RE: IPP> IPP 'mailto' Specification and Ricoh Patent

From: "Bergman, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:03:01 -0700

Ira,

If there is WG consensus that the document should progress, I am
certainly willing to agree to move it forward.  However, after the
discussions at the last meeting it was clear that the possibility
of a vote of approval is not likely under these circumstances.
And, since I am a Ricoh employee, I am not in the best position
to be promoting this standard.

	Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, Ira [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 5:57 PM
To: Bergman, Ron; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: IPP> IPP 'mailto' Specification and Ricoh Patent 

Hi Ron,

To clarify, the PWG Process/2.0 does NOT prevent the Formal Vote and
adoption of a first-stage Candidate Standard, even with encumbered IPR.
It prevents the ADVANCEMENT to Standard.  IPP 'mailto' is NOT subject
to cancellation as a project because of encumberment.

I make no statement about the extent or validity of Ricoh's patent.
But its existence is insufficient to automatically cancel IPP 'mailto'
on the PWG standards track.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked] 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Bergman, Ron
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 7:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> IPP 'mailto' Specification and Ricoh Patent 

Due to the stated position of Ricoh Company, Ltd. (RCL) with respect to
patent #6,889,263 and the IPP 'mailto' specification, all work on this
document will end immediately.  The draft documents will remain in the IPP
archives, but all references to IPP 'mailto' will be removed from the web
site.  My sincere thanks to all who have contributed to this effort over the
last 5 to 7 years.
See attached email for further details. 
        Ron Bergman 
        Ricoh Printing Systems America 
<<email.pdf>>

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:53:16 -0400

> to be promoting this standard.

FWIW, we will still be moving forward with mailto in CUPS.  Talk with
me off-line if you want the details...

-- 
______________________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com