Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> New Media Type Registration RFCs

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:21:43 -0800

Hi,

The MIME media type registration process has just been significantly
improved (and streamlined for vendor media types).  New RFCs:

4288 Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures. N. Freed,
     J. Klensin. December 2005. (Format: TXT=52667 bytes) (Obsoletes
     RFC2048) (Also BCP0013) (Status: BEST CURRENT PRACTICE)

4289 Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) Part Four:
     Registration Procedures. N. Freed, J. Klensin. December 2005.
     (Format: TXT=21502 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC2048) (Also BCP0013) (Status:
     BEST CURRENT PRACTICE)

Oddly, registering MIME media types just got a lot simpler, while
registering URI Schemes just got more restrictive (well, on paper -
in point of fact registering URI Schemes has been effectively broken
for some time).  See the IESG approved

    <draft-hansen-2717bis-2718bis-uri-guidelines-06.txt>

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]