Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> Imaging Power Management Project

From: "William Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:36:58 -0400

There has been some interest in developing a standard set of elements for
the power management of imaging equipment. Power management in this context
assumes that imaging equipment has multiple power consumption states such as
hibernate, sleep, standby, idle, and active, with higher power states
usually corresponding to less time to come up to full speed or perhaps
faster processing.  The power management elements may provide for remotely
reading and perhaps setting power states, setting policy for transitioning
power states, selecting default power states according to the
time-of-day/day-of-week, and/or other parameters.

At a BoF (Birds of a Feather) meeting during the February Printer Working
Group (PWG) face-to-face, we discussed a project to identify a set of
management elements for the monitoring/management  of hardcopy imaging
devices. Neither the number and nature of these elements nor the protocols
by which these elements might be accessible were addressed. However, it was
agreed that, before any such project were started, there would need to be
significance evidence of interest  and participation on the part of
equipment suppliers, management application developers and ultimate users.

At the behest of the PWG Steering Committee, a web-accessible questionnaire
has been put up at 

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=0JjdjWfqkBq0vwvxgiChRg_3d_3d

get some measure of interest. Notice of this survey is being sent to the PWG
Announce list as well as certain imaging equipment user groups. We would
appreciate it if you could spend a few minutes filling out and submitting
this questionnaire. Also, please pass on the link to others in the field
with an interest in this subject.

Although it is not absolutely necessary unless you are representing your
company, it would be helpful if you identified yourself on the survey form.
The survey responses will be available only to the PWG steering Committee;
your identity and specific  responses will be not be made public. Obviously,
nothing  expressed in a survey response will be considered a commitment.
However, the PWG will carefully consider the responses from each group to
determine whether to proceed with this project; and if we do proceed, the
responses and their origin will form a basis for the project scope.

Thank you for your interest and input.

Bill Wagner, CoChair, Workgroup for Imaging Management Solutions/PWG

---

From: "William Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:05:17 -0400

Although those who have responded have been highly positive on this project,
the number of responses suggests that there is little interest in a standard
for Imaging Power Management. If you personally and/or your company have any
opinion on this subject, please take the survey at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=0JjdjWfqkBq0vwvxgiChRg_3d_3d. 

If you are having any problem with the survey, either technically or with
the questions, please contact me via email.

Without more of a response,  it would appear that there would be minimal
participation in and therefore  no justification for the PWG to take on this
project.

Thank you,

Bill Wagner

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of William Wagner
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> Imaging Power Management Project

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=0JjdjWfqkBq0vwvxgiChRg_3d_3d.