Subject: IPP> Proposed "Mobile IPP" slide text...

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:48:21 -0700

Here is my proposed text for the F2F slides WRT a potential "Mobile  
IPP" effort.

1. Why Use IPP on Mobile Devices?
    - Currently printing on mobile devices (smart phones, netbooks,  
etc.) is hit-or-miss
    - Usually no way to install printer drivers, and vendor-specific  
solutions leave a lot to be desired (separate application, etc.)
    - Printing is usually less "organized" - you print to the device  
you are near (queue "love the one you're with" music :)
    - Printing requirements are generally simpler (smaller documents,  
etc.)

2. Mobile IPP Printing Use Cases
    - EMail messages (and attachments)
    - Web pages (boarding passes, directions, etc.)
    - Photos (built-in camera)
    - Notes, to-do lists, etc. created on the device
    - All typically 1-3 pages in length

3. Mobile IPP Printing Experience
    - Press "print" on phone
    - Select nearby printer on Wifi network (DNS-SD/Bonjour/etc.)
    - Select paper size and possibly options (duplex? quality?)
    - Press "print" on phone again

4. How to Support IPP on Mobile Devices
    - Mobile devices can already generate JPEG, PNG, XHTML, and PDF  
data easily (even in bands of raster data) via existing, embeddable  
(and often free) software libraries
    - Mobile devices can already discover printers and send print jobs  
via IPP easily via existing, embeddable (and free) software libraries
    - Many printers already support DNS-SD/Bonjour, IPP, JPEG, PDF,  
PNG, and XHTML-Print
    - Missing piece: IPP standard to define interoperability  
requirements

5. Outline of a Mobile IPP Specification
    - Require IPP/2.0
    - Define the baseline document-format's to support: JPEG, PDF,  
PNG, and XHTML-Print
    - Client (mobile device) must support generation of all formats
    - Server (printer) must support at least one of the formats  
(advertised via document-format-supported)
    - Server must also support media and media-supported attributes  
using PWG media names to select output size
    - Server optionally supports other job template attributes
    - Server scales to fit specified media

________________________________________
Michael R Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer