Subject: [IPP] IPP "Futures" (content removed from IPP Job Ext)

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:51:47 -0400

Hi,

6 years ago, while developing IPP Job Extensions [PWG 5100.7]
we decided to remove some content from 2 Working Drafts in May
and June 2003 and call it "ippfutures".

Below are the related change logs from IPP Job Ext, our best
record of this content - which includes the Close-Job operation
that I persist in thinking we standardized (but we didn't).

Pete Zehler found some unpublished working drafts on his computer
today (basically snapshots of IPP Job Ext before deleting operations
and attributes).  I've just posted them to the FTP server at:

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippfutures10-20030528-rev.doc

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippfutures10-20030608.doc

We may wish to recover and progress some of this content.
I'll mention this topic next week during our IPP WG session.

Comments?

Cheers,
- Ira
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[change log excerpt from IPP Job Ext working draft]

Version 0.2, 19 May 2003:
1.	Did not include the document-format-target and
document-format-version-target attributes.  PSI has their own
definitions and we can avoid the discussion as to whether they should
be Document Template attributes or Operation attributes on Document
Creation operations and whether there should be a
"document-format-target-default" and a
"document-format-version-target-default".

Version 0.3, 28 May 2003:
Agreements reaches at the May 28, 2003 telecon:
1.	Moved the Close-Job operation to the futures specification.
2.	Added the “pages-per-subset” Job Template from [pwg5100.4].  See
Appendix B section Error! Reference source not found. for the minor
differences.
3.	Added the terms: “Best Effort, Finished Document, Page, Page
Subset, and Sheet.
4.	Clarified the conformance relationships between “xxx” Operation
attributes and their corresponding “xxx-default” and “xxx-supported”
Printer attributes.
5.	Added rationale for each missing “xxx-default” and “xxx-supported” attribute.
6.	Added ‘errors-detected’ and ‘warnings-detected’ “job-state-reasons” values.
7.	Added the new 'choice_iso_a4_210x297mm_na_letter_8.5x11in' “media”
attribute value which is a choice of two approximately equal media.
8.	Added the requirements for choice media keyword values for
inclusion in a revision of the PWG IEEE-ISTO 5101.1.
9.	Changed the “document-format-implemented” member attribute from
1setOf mimeMediaType to mimeMediaType since it is the key attribute
value.
10.	Added another “document-format-implemented” example.
11.	Updated the IANA section to agree with the additions.

Version 0.4, June 4, 2003:
1.	Moved “document-format-details-implemented” Printer Description
attribute to Futures.
2.	Moved “pages-per-subset” (1setOf integer(1:MAX)) Job Template
attribute to Futures.
3.	Removed all CONDITIONALLY REQUIRED and CMUST statements and made
them OPTIONAL and MAY.  Added a statement of the intent for these
attributes, so avoid the conformance statement problems for this
specification which is just a list of OPTIONAL attributes.
4.	Removed the new terms “Honor” and “Best Effort”, since they are
synonym for “Support” and the opposite.  It is confusing to have
synonyms.
5.	Added all of the new Operation/Job Description attributes that
describe Documents to be supplied in Job Creation operations and
copied to the corresponding Job Description attributes as default
values for the Document(s) of the Job.
6.	Added “output-device-default” and “output-device-supported” Printer
attribute to provide the default for both the
“output-device-requested” Operation attribute and the
“output-device-assigned” Job Description attribute.
7.	Added “document-message” and “document-name” as Operation/Job
Description default Document attributes for the Job.
8.	Clarified that the ‘none’ value of the “document-digital-signature”
must be implemented, but the administrator MAY remove the ‘none’ value
in order to require signatures to be used.
9.	Sated that all supplied member attributes of the
“document-format-details” Operation attribute MUST have a value, i.e.,
MUST NOT be empty.
10.	Normalized all of the Application Names and versions and Operating
System Name values from the IANA Registry to lower case, as is done
with most other IPP attributes, in order to facilitate matching.
11.   Moved the requirements for the new ‘choice_xxx’ values to be
added to PWG 5101.1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: [email-masked]
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp