Subject: [Pwg-Announce] Google "Chrome" OS and printer drivers

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 22:53:12 -0800

Hi All,

Some of you may have already seen or heard about this, but I find it interesting that Google is "just now" learning about 
the "proliferation of printer drivers" problem, now that it is in the OS business.  And guess what it would like to do about it?
I'm guessing they have this novel idea of a "Universal Print Driver", or something like it ( a way to connect to a device and have
it automatically upload its' driver, etc.)

Knowing Google, they will probably want to patent the idea of a Universal Print Driver, since no one else has thought of it :) :) Yeah right.

Maybe, instead of working with one or two printer vendors behind closed doors, they should be working with the PWG on this problem.

See link below:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10407264-265.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
pwg-announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/pwg-announce

---

From: "Tom Hastings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:57:27 -0800

Randy,

Would the February 2010 PWG meeting for the IPP Anywhere BOF be an
appropriate place to follow up on your suggestion for how Google's Chrome OS
could get rid of printer-specific drivers and have a universal IPP Printer
driver?

Should the PWG (or IPP WG) make contact with Google and invite them to the
February IPP anywhere BOF?

Can this topic be added to some appropriate meeting agenda for next week's
face to face?

Which one?

Thanks,
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Randy Turner
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 22:53
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Pwg-Announce] Google "Chrome" OS and printer drivers

Hi All,

Some of you may have already seen or heard about this, but I find it
interesting that Google is "just now" learning about 
the "proliferation of printer drivers" problem, now that it is in the OS
business.  And guess what it would like to do about it?
I'm guessing they have this novel idea of a "Universal Print Driver", or
something like it ( a way to connect to a device and have
it automatically upload its' driver, etc.)

Knowing Google, they will probably want to patent the idea of a Universal
Print Driver, since no one else has thought of it :) :) Yeah right.

Maybe, instead of working with one or two printer vendors behind closed
doors, they should be working with the PWG on this problem.

See link below:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10407264-265.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea
.0

---

From: "William Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:09:07 -0500

Tom,

The PWG Steering Committee has considered the information in Randy's
message, and potential actions probably will be discussed at the December
plenary. Some feelers have been put out to Google already and hopefully we
may have more specific information about what they are trying to do.

Bill Wagner

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Tom Hastings
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2009 3:57 AM
To: 'Randy Turner'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Pwg-Announce] Google "Chrome" OS and printer drivers [and IPP
Anywhere BOF Feb 2010]

Randy,

Which one?

Thanks,
Tom

-----Original Message-----

Hi All,

See link below: