Subject: [IPP] FW: WS-Discovery

From: "Zehler, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 04:02:03 -0700

All,

Below is the only thing I could find in the specifications relating to
Web Service Discovery that supported the position that it is Web Service
(i.e. SOAP) specific.  I could not locate any record of my conversations
about using WS-Discovery for IPP nor recall any of the individuals with
whom I had the conversation.  It was early in the creation of Web
Services for Devices which was about 8 years ago.  It was the consensus
of the group that the advertised endpoint must be a Web Service.

Pete

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: [email-masked]
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701 

From: Zehler, Peter 
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:57 PM
To: 'Justin Hutchings'
Subject: RE: WS-Discovery

Justin,

From my readings of the specs I did not see any reason that the
WS-Discovery, WS-Transfer and WS-MetadataExchange specifications would
preclude the advertising of services that are not Web Services based.
However the Devices Profile for Web Services specification contains a
chain of definitions that does seem to limit the applicability.  I tried
to find the mail thread from long ago that I had when I was looking into
using WSD to also make the IPP endpoint visible.  I could not locate the
mail notes.  As I have stated I have no objection to making IPP
discoverable using WSD.  Since many vendors currently use WSD we just
need to insure that it is acceptable to apply the technology to non-SOAP
based services.

Pete

PS If you have no objections, I'll post this response to the IPP mail
list.

HOSTED SERVICE  

A distinguished type of SERVICE that is hosted by another SERVICE. The
lifetime 

of the HOSTED SERVICE is a subset of the lifetime of its host. The
HOSTED

SERVICE is visible (not encapsulated) and is addressed separately from
its host. 

Each HOSTED SERVICE has exactly one host. (The relationship is not
transitive.)

SERVICE  

A network endpoint that receives and/or sends MESSAGEs to provide a
service.

MESSAGE 

Protocol elements that are exchanged, usually over a network, to affect
a Web 

service. Always includes a SOAP ENVELOPE. Typically also includes
transport 

framing information such as HTTP headers, TCP headers, and IP headers.

SOAP ENVELOPE  

An XML Infoset that consists of a document information item [XML
Infoset] with 

exactly one member in its [children] property, which MUST be the SOAP

Envelope [SOAP 1.2] element information item.

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: [email-masked]
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701 

From: Justin Hutchings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 4:48 PM
To: Zehler, Peter
Subject: WS-Discovery

Peter,

Did you have a reference to the doc published on W3C that needs revision
for us to enable WS-Discovery on IPP? I'd like to review with some folks
on the Microsoft side. 

Thanks!

Justin

Justin Hutchings | Program Manager |
Windows\DNT\DeviceConnectivity::Printing and Imaging

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Justin Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 22:39:36 +0000

Thanks Peter,
I spoke with folks here at Microsoft, and we believe the IPP everywhere spec should simply reference the OASIS WS-Discovery 1.1 specification (http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/discovery/1.1/os/wsdd-discovery-1.1-spec-os.html) and describe how an implementer should describe the IPP endpoint. While the DPWS specifications are more specific as to how to describe a set of web service endpoints, that's pertinent only to an implementation of the full DPWS and shouldn't affect the IPP spec.

So I'm expecting we're unblocked here and can proceed with this aspect of the specification.

Thanks!
Justin

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Zehler, Peter
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPP] FW: WS-Discovery

All,
Below is the only thing I could find in the specifications relating to Web Service Discovery that supported the position that it is Web Service (i.e. SOAP) specific.  I could not locate any record of my conversations about using WS-Discovery for IPP nor recall any of the individuals with whom I had the conversation.  It was early in the creation of Web Services for Devices which was about 8 years ago.  It was the consensus of the group that the advertised endpoint must be a Web Service.
Pete

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701

From: Zehler, Peter

Justin,
>From my readings of the specs I did not see any reason that the WS-Discovery, WS-Transfer and WS-MetadataExchange specifications would preclude the advertising of services that are not Web Services based.  However the Devices Profile for Web Services specification contains a chain of definitions that does seem to limit the applicability.  I tried to find the mail thread from long ago that I had when I was looking into using WSD to also make the IPP endpoint visible.  I could not locate the mail notes.  As I have stated I have no objection to making IPP discoverable using WSD.  Since many vendors currently use WSD we just need to insure that it is acceptable to apply the technology to non-SOAP based services.
Pete

PS If you have no objections, I'll post this response to the IPP mail list.

HOSTED SERVICE
A distinguished type of SERVICE that is hosted by another SERVICE. The lifetime
of the HOSTED SERVICE is a subset of the lifetime of its host. The HOSTED
SERVICE is visible (not encapsulated) and is addressed separately from its host.
Each HOSTED SERVICE has exactly one host. (The relationship is not transitive.)

SERVICE
A network endpoint that receives and/or sends MESSAGEs to provide a service.

MESSAGE
Protocol elements that are exchanged, usually over a network, to affect a Web
service. Always includes a SOAP ENVELOPE. Typically also includes transport
framing information such as HTTP headers, TCP headers, and IP headers.

SOAP ENVELOPE
An XML Infoset that consists of a document information item [XML Infoset] with
exactly one member in its [children] property, which MUST be the SOAP
Envelope [SOAP 1.2] element information item.

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701

Peter,
Did you have a reference to the doc published on W3C that needs revision for us to enable WS-Discovery on IPP? I'd like to review with some folks on the Microsoft side.

Thanks!
Justin

Justin Hutchings | Program Manager | Windows\DNT\DeviceConnectivity::Printing and Imaging

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner<http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
believed to be clean.