Subject: [IPP] Call for use cases

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:32:15 -0700

All,

Based on our discussions during the Cloud Imaging and IPP WG sessions, I am calling for all PWG members to send in a single use case for printing, scanning, or facsimile for Cloud and/or IPP Everywhere. Please be as specific and detailed as you can, and cover everything from the installation/setup of the printer to any status/error/progress.

________________________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Justin Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:47:56 +0000

All,

Here's a first cut at a basic use case for IPP Everywhere. This template is a bit more verbose than the ones in the specs I've seen so far, but I think it'll help ferret out the assumptions, and help to create use cases that are understandable, while incorporating the full complexity available in the system.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Justin

Title

Mobile phone user prints to IPP Everywhere printer

Description

User has a mobile phone connected to the WiFi in her business. The user has a document to print prior to a meeting, and has it available from her phone. User initiates a print from the phone and chooses an IPP Everywhere printer that has been associated with the phone previously. The user configures the print job, and once the Printer determines that the settings are valid, the job is printed. The user picks up her job at the device.

Goal

User obtains a high quality print with good performance from their mobile phone

Preconditions

User's mobile phone is connected to the same LAN the printer is on

User's mobile phone can print to IPP Everywhere devices
<Use case: User discovers/pairs/installs IPP Everywhere printer>

Trigger

User initiates a print command from an application that can generate print content

Steps

1.       User initiates a print command from an application that can generate print content

2.       User chooses an available printer from the available devices

3.       User configures the print job, setting options like duplexing, and media sizes

4.       User submits the job

5.       The system validates the print job using IPP

6.       The system submits the job to the printer

Alternate flows

5a. The IPP printer could deem the job settings invalid and return the job to the user for correction.

5b. The IPP printer could deem the job settings invalid and correct them

6a. An error could be encountered, in which case the user would be notified by the system about how to correct the issue.

Postconditions

The IPP Everywhere printer has printed the job the user sent.

The IPP everywhere printer is available to accept additional print jobs.

<Use case: Billing>

<Use case: Accounting>

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Michael Sweet
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [IPP] Call for use cases

All,

--

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

ipp mailing list

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: "Petrie, Glen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:48:32 -0700

My use-case for cloud printing

Title:

Student Printing Homework at Friends House.

Description:

John, a high-school student, rushes out of the house on his way to his
friend's (Steve) house and, then, to school. In less than 5 minutes he
arrives at Steve house. Steve waves his history report at John to show
him it is done and printed. John reaches in his backpack to realize he
has forgotten his printed copy. John tells Steve he has a copy of his
report on his cloud and could he print it at his house. Steve agrees.
Steve ask John for his cloud user name and adds John as a 'friend' to
his cloud aware printer. John promptly logs into his cloud account and
finds his history report. Invoking a print request, John sees that
Steve's printer has been added to this printer list. Selecting Steve's
printer, John prints his report and they are both off to school.

Optional: Steve's system administrator (dad) does not want the
'friend's' list for the printer to be to long; so, Steve removes John
from the 'friend's' list and John see the printer disappear from this
printer list.

Goal:

To demonstrate rapid but temporary access to cloud print services and
the necessary administrative services

Actors:

John, using his cloud account and cloud print service

Steve, using his cloud account and cloud printing administrative service

Assumptions/

Preconditions:

1. John and Steve both have cloud repositories accounts.

2. Steve has at least one cloud print account

3. Steve has some administrative privileges 

Process: 

Main:

1. Steve logs in to his cloud account

2. Steve adds John to the 'friend's' list for his home printer

3. The cloud system updates the 'friend' access list.

4. The cloud system add the Steve's home printer to John's printer list.

1. John logs in to his cloud account

2. John selects his document and request a print.

3. John selects Steve's home printer from his printer list.

4. The cloud system presents a print dialog using the capabilities for
Steve's home printer.

5. John sets his print options and presses the print button.

6. The print dialog generates a Print-Job-Ticket and records the URI for
Steve's document in the Print-Job-Ticket.

7. The print dialog passes the print request to the cloud repository
print client manager. 

8. The cloud repository print client manager checks the status of
Steve's printer.

9. The cloud repository print client manager sends the print job to
Steve's printer.

10. The cloud repository print client manager receive a print-complete.

11. The cloud repository print client manager updates John's print
status.

12. The cloud repository print client manager removes the job from its
queue.

Process:

Alternative:

1. Steve logs in to his cloud account

2. Steve removes John from Steve's home printer 'friend's' list.

3. The cloud system remove Steve's printer from John's printer list.

Frequency:

Random; 10 or less events in one year period.

Features:

Rapid and temporary access to a cloud aware printer.

Administrate rights at a level other than user and administrator.

Issues:

None. Capabilities are within scope of todays or proposed solutions. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Michael Sweet
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Pwg-Announce] Call for use cases

All,

Based on our discussions during the Cloud Imaging and IPP WG sessions, I
am calling for all PWG members to send in a single use case for
printing, scanning, or facsimile for Cloud and/or IPP Everywhere. Please
be as specific and detailed as you can, and cover everything from the
installation/setup of the printer to any status/error/progress.

 

-- 

believed to be clean.

pwg-announce mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/pwg-announce

---

From: "Petrie, Glen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:48:32 -0700

Title:

Description:

 

Goal:

Actors:

 

Assumptions/

Preconditions:

Process: 

Main:

Process:

Alternative:

Frequency:

Features:

Issues:

 

-----Original Message-----

All,

 

-- 

believed to be clean.

[email-masked]

---

From: "William Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:41:05 -0400

I like this use case format (Thanks Justin Hutchings). I submit the next
two, for Cloud and/or IPP Everywhere.  They were observed at a nursing
conference  I am currently at  (with my wife. I haven't changed careers yet)
and they are very real and I suspect, not uncommon. Current solutions were
inconvenient and time consuming, and the output was not completely
satisfactory,

Title

User of standard application wants to print checks at offsite location.

Description

The treasurer of a small training company, that is holding a meeting and
seminar at a resort, needs to print out 20  checks for training personnel.
He uses QuickBooks R for accounting and to print out checks, and he updates
the information in this program to  reflect latest hours worked, bonuses,
etc. The resort site does have 802.11 and does have a printer available for
guest use (for a fee). The treasurer has check blanks. 

Goal

Treasurer can submit proper  checks with current balances to personnel
during closing ceremony at remote site  using the same accounting software
he uses to track all expenses.

Preconditions

TBD - to an extent, this is part of solution since at the present time site
does not have advanced capabilities that we which to define. However, we can
note that security is one of many concerns.

Trigger

User loads check blanks on printer and initiates a print command from an
application that can generate print content

Steps

1.      User updates his accounting grogram, determines what checks need to
be printed and insures that checks amounts, payees and signature are
correct.

2.      User locates an available printer 

3.      User ensures that printer is free, locks out other jobs and loads
the check blanks.

4.      User initiates check printing. (put in a validate job operation?)

5.      The system (or the application) submits the job to the printer.

6.      Checks are printed and immediately taken off the printer.

7.      Cost of printing  (not including media) is calculated and sent to
treasurer's account.

Alternate flows

??

Postconditions

The accounting program properly reflects all outstanding checks. The
treasurer has a stack of properly printed checks.  The Treasurer  will be
charged for the

Us of the printer. 

Title

User wants to print specially formatted text on printer at resort site

Description

At a seminar located at a country resort, a factotum and general gofer has
been asked to provide 80 sets of ten keywords/phrases, clearly printed on
2-inch by 1-inch paper slips for use in a get acquainted exercise. Costs are
to be minimized. Gofer has a laptop with a word processer program. Resort
has a wi-fi network available to users and a networked MFDat the business
centre. Attendant at business center will charge for any printed sheets
removed from premises

Goal

Gofer must provide paper slips  of the specified size with legible  text,
promptly and cheaply

Preconditions

TBD - to an extent, this is part of solution since at the present time site
does not have advanced capabilities that we which to define. However, we can
note that security is one of many concerns.

Trigger

Gofer uses word processer program to lay out the phrases in  a table format,
adjusting margins, font size and spacing to use landscape format to print
five phrases per line and eight lines of phrases per page. The required 80
phrases should be handled in two pages.

Steps

1.      Gofer creates the page descriptions on his word processor program. 

2.      Gofer locates an available printer 

3.      User initiates printing. (put in a validate job operation?)

4.      The system (or the application) submits the job to the printer.

5.      Two sheets are printed with 80 phrases. User must then use scissors
to cut part

Alternate flows

??

Postconditions

Gofer will be charged for printing  two  single sided sheets.

---

From: "William Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:41:05 -0400

Title

Description

Goal

Preconditions

Trigger

Steps

Alternate flows

??

Postconditions

Us of the printer. 

Title

Description

Goal

Preconditions

Trigger

Steps

Alternate flows

??

Postconditions