Subject: [IPP] RFC3998 errata

From: "Zehler, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 04:08:58 -0700

All,

There appears to be a cut and paste error in the definition of the
"printer-state-reasons" value  'hold-new-jobs' in rfc3998.

The current text is:

8.1.  'hold-new-jobs' Value

   'hold-new-jobs': The operator has issued the Hold-New-Jobs operation
      (see section 3.3.1
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3998#section-3.3.1> ) or other means, but
the output-device(s) are
      taking an appreciable time to stop.  Later, when all output has
      stopped, the "printer-state" becomes 'stopped', and the 'paused'
      value replaces the 'moving-to-paused' value in the "printer-
      state-reasons" attribute.  This value MUST be supported if the
      Hold-New-Jobs operation is supported and the implementation takes
      significant time to pause a device in certain circumstances.

I believe it should be something like:

8.1.  'hold-new-jobs' Value

   'hold-new-jobs': The operator has issued the Hold-New-Jobs operation
      (see section 3.3.1
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3998#section-3.3.1> ) or has initiated
the holding of new jobs by 
      other means. This value indicates that all Jobs subsequently 
      submitted to the Printer will be placed into the 'pending-held' 
      state.  Thus all newly accepted jobs will be automatically held 
      by the Printer.  This "printer-state-reasons" value will be
removed 
      when the Operator issues the Release-Held-New-Jobs Operation or 
      releases the holding of new jobs by other means. 

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701 

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:09:17 -0700

On Apr 17, 2011, at 4:08 AM, Zehler, Peter wrote:
> All,
>  
> There appears to be a cut and paste error in the definition of the ”printer-state-reasons” value  ‘hold-new-jobs’ in rfc3998.
> The current text is:
> ... 
> 
>       (see section 3.3.1) or has initiated the holding of new jobs by 
>       submitted to the Printer will be placed into the ‘pending-held’ 
>       by the Printer.  This “printer-state-reasons” value will be removed 

Agreed, please go ahead and post this at:

	http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata.php

and I think at that point Ira and I will get contacted for confirmation.

________________________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair