Subject: [IPP] RE: [MFD] Question on print job ticket

From: "Zehler, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 08:25:37 -0700

Sergi,

Scaling and rotation could be applied to Print but at this time they are
not included in any current IPP specification and therefore not included
in the Print Service portion of the MFD specification.   Perhaps JPS3
can include them if there is a desire and people willing to work on it.

There are limited controls that cover how an impression is laid out on a
media sheet (e.g., OrientationRequested, Resolution, NumberUp, the
various [X|Y] Image [Shift|Position] elements).   If Scaling and
Rotation are included then JPS3 will have to address the interactions of
these IPP job Template attributes

The Transform Service is currently only a place holder.  The intent is
for that service to be addressed after the services currently being
actively worked.  It is incomplete and can be ignored for now.  There is
no intent for simple services (e.g., copy, print, scan) to require a
workflow to produce output.  The transformation service was intended
primarily as an "Impedance matcher" between the output of one service
and the input of another.  The transform service could also function
independently to extend the capabilities of an MFD.

Pete 

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: [email-masked]
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Casas, Sergi
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 10:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MFD] Question on print job ticket

Hi there,

I have noticed that in the Semantic Model v2, the job/document
processing ticket only has scaling and rotation elements for image
output services but not for impression output services. This seems to be
inconsistent, since printers are also able to scale and rotate documents
when ripping.

On a related note, rotation and scaling is available in the
TransformService, but this service has no operations defined in
ServicesOperations.xsd. Should rotation & scaling for printing be
ordered by setting a workflow with the TransformService feeding into the
PrintService ? if so, how ?  why is this different for the ScanService ?

Thanks,

Sergi Casas

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and 
dangerous content by MailScanner <http://www.mailscanner.info/> , and is

believed to be clean. 

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:39:26 -0700

On Jun 2, 2011, at 8:25 AM, Zehler, Peter wrote:
> Sergi,
>  
> Scaling and rotation could be applied to Print but at this time they are not included in any current IPP specification and therefore not included in the Print Service portion of the MFD specification.   Perhaps JPS3 can include them if there is a desire and people willing to work on it.
>  
> There are limited controls that cover how an impression is laid out on a media sheet (e.g., OrientationRequested, Resolution, NumberUp, the various [X|Y] Image [Shift|Position] elements).   If Scaling and Rotation are included then JPS3 will have to address the interactions of these IPP job Template attributes

FWIW, you can already force a document to print on a different media than implied by the document data by specifying ipp-attribute-fidelity=true and media or media-col. What isn't defined is how the mapping is done - scaling, positioning, rotation, etc. 

Moreover, most printers today will automatically rotate and scale under specific situations such as automatic landscape rotation and printing A4 on Letter media (and visa-versa) - this is an implementation detail that is allowed by the model.

More recently the JPS3 draft also talks a bit about borderless printing, giving the printer permission to scale and position the document data in order to produce borderless output. It probably makes sense to add some sort of job template attribute to control scaling, and then allow the "novalue" out-of-band value for orientation-requested as a placeholder for "auto rotate" (or add an enum value…)

CUPS has "fit-to-page", "position", "scaling", and "natural-scaling" job template attributes to explicitly control scaling, and makes use of automatic rotation whenever the document does not fit on the selected media without rotation. Specifying "ipp-attribute-fidelity=true" also implies "scale to fit" when the document is larger than the selected media and "center" when the document is smaller than the selected media.

More on CUPS extensions at:

	http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ipp.html

________________________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair