Subject: FW: [IPP] Please explain the use of "preferred" attributes

From: "Petrie, Glen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 13:10:02 -0700

Mike 

Ops, I forgot to address the mail note to you specifically and copy the
ipp list.  I was hoping you help with the answer.

Glen

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Petrie, Glen
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPP] Please explain the use of "preferred" attributes

Discussion on wd-ippjobprinterext3v10-20111013

In Section 6.4 I don't understand the idea of "... the Printer would
prefer to use".  Does this the Printer will override Job Ticket values?
While, the printer has limitation or constraints which are reported in
the capability information; what does it mean when the printer has
"copies-preferred" (section 5.3.2) - does this mean the User wants 3
copies but the Printer prefers to only print 2 !!!  Very Strange.
There could be a concept of "recommended" attributes that would apply to
a very small set of attributes (copies is not one of them) and would be
presented to the User in such a way as to identify it as "recommended".

*      The same comment applies to almost all the other "preferred"
attributes. 

Glen

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and 
dangerous content by MailScanner <http://www.mailscanner.info/> , and is

believed to be clean. 

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp