Subject: [IPP] Feedback on some of the feedback...

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 00:34:10 -0400

Some feedback/questions about the feedback from the last IPP WG concall:

GP28: Section 3.2.2: The Client queries the printer, not the User. – The term User can refer to both a person or to Automata. We need to select a different term to refer to actions only undertaken by people (not Automata) in the use cases.

GP30: Section 3.2.2.x: "Jane" instead of "User"? – Same issue to be resolved as item GP 28.

GP39: Section 3.2.2.4: "provides a preview" instead of "displays a preview"

REJECTED: We're talking about the user interface, not the implementation details. –

Because we are talking about a user interface for people, we need to resolve the same issue as GP28 and GP30.

	I would prefer to drop "automata" from the User definition; the alternative is to
        start using Person (and Person Interface?) which is just awkward.

GP70: Section 4.2.3.1: Expand "air" to "auth-info-required (air)" – air is a word with a standard definition. Where we are using the term as an abbreviation, the use of “air” in this entry needs further clarification.

	"air" is never used as an abbreviation, and I am inclined to remove the whole
	historical reference to CUPS since it is just confusing people more than "why is
	it called "air"...

GP95: Section 6.1: Change "Figures 2 through 5" to "Figures 2 through Figure 5"? – change to read "Figure 2 through Figure 5"

	My Chicago Manual of Style is still in a box somewhere, and the only online reference
	I've found for this is the American Psychology Society's style manual which says to
	use "Figures 2-5".

__________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: "William A Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 00:57:41 -0400

><WW>< The MFD Model, for which we did spend a lot of time on terminology
(although there are some errors yet) defined User in terms of "Users include
the Administrators, Job Owners, Operators, members of the Job Owner's group
and other authenticated entities." Perhaps unclear with respect to automata,
but I don't think it was intended to include that. My objection to User was
that the actor in the specific use cases was a very particular type of user:
that is, a potential job requester. So the proper names  seems more
reasonable to use, at least in a narrative type use case presentation. But I
would prefer to use User than come up with some other general term; we could
clarify the MFD model term to specifically exclude automata.><WW><

Bill Wagner

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Michael
Sweet
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 12:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPP] Feedback on some of the feedback...

GP28: Section 3.2.2: The Client queries the printer, not the User. - The
term User can refer to both a person or to Automata. We need to select a
different term to refer to actions only undertaken by people (not Automata)
in the use cases.

GP30: Section 3.2.2.x: "Jane" instead of "User"? - Same issue to be resolved
as item GP 28.

REJECTED: We're talking about the user interface, not the implementation
details. -

Because we are talking about a user interface for people, we need to resolve
the same issue as GP28 and GP30.

            I would prefer to drop "automata" from the User definition; the
alternative is to

 

GP70: Section 4.2.3.1: Expand "air" to "auth-info-required (air)" - air is a
word with a standard definition. Where we are using the term as an
abbreviation, the use of "air" in this entry needs further clarification.

            "air" is never used as an abbreviation, and I am inclined to
remove the whole

            historical reference to CUPS since it is just confusing people
more than "why is

            it called "air"...

GP95: Section 6.1: Change "Figures 2 through 5" to "Figures 2 through Figure
5"? - change to read "Figure 2 through Figure 5"

            My Chicago Manual of Style is still in a box somewhere, and the
only online reference

            I've found for this is the American Psychology Society's style
manual which says to

            use "Figures 2-5".

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and 
dangerous content by  <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner, and is 
believed to be clean.

---

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:20:33 -0400

Hi Mike,

Inline thoughts below.

Cheers,
- Ira

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Michael Sweet <[email-masked]> wrote:

> GP28: Section 3.2.2: The Client queries the printer, not the User. – The
> details. –
> <ira> I agree w/ Bill - simply using a proper name throughout (Jane, Bob,
etc.)
would be more readable in these informal use cases (section 3).

I also think we should make clear that "User" is normally NOT automata in
the use cases (and the definition).  In TCG terms, User is an Authenticated
Entity (and so are automata).
</ira>

>
> GP70: Section 4.2.3.1: Expand "air" to "auth-info-required (air)" – air
> is a word with a standard definition. Where we are using the term as an
> abbreviation, the use of “air” in this entry needs further clarification.
>
> GP95: Section 6.1: Change "Figures 2 through 5" to "Figures 2 through
> Figure 5"? – change to read "Figure 2 through Figure 5"
>
> <ira>
Ah but in chapter-figure numbering "Figure 2-5" could
be a reference.  For reasons of clarity, my wife Nancy
(the editor) prefers the original "Figures 2 through 5".
</ira>

> dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
> believed to be clean.
>