Subject: [IPP] Comments on IPP Faxout Spec w/r SM FaxOut Service

From: "William A Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 16:50:38 -0500

In pursuing the question about  the SM correlation to
Get-Printer-Suppported-Values in table 1, Operations for IPP FaxOut, there
appear to be several inconsistencies.

1.    ValidateFaxOutJob  does not exist. ValidateFaxOutJobTicket is probably
intended.

2.    I find no RestartFaxOutJob in either the SM FaxOut Service or general
SM Model. Does the make sense? There is a ResubmitFaxOutJob.

3.     The SM FaxOut Service does not appear to differentiate
GetFaxOutJobElements from the general Get<service>JobElements, which has an
important difference from IPP Get-Job-Attributes.  Unlike the IPP
Get-Job-Attributes, the GetFaxOutJobElements request does not specify
individual Elements. Rather, the Client requests specific groups of Elements
contained within the Job. The allowed values for RequestedElements are Job
Receipt, Job Status, or Job Ticket. It is not clearly stated whether the
FaxOut follows the Common Semantics (presumably it must) or the IPP printer
approach.

4.    The SM FaxOut Service does not appear to differentiate
GetFaxOutServiceElements from the general Get<service>ServiceElements, which
has an important difference from IPP Get-Printer-Attributes. Unlike the IPP
Get-Printer-Attributes, the GetFaxOutServiceElements request does not
specify individual Elements. Rather, the Client requests specific groups of
Elements contained within the Job. The allowed values for Requested Elements
are Service Capabilities, Service Configuration, Service Description,
Service Status or DefaultJob Ticket. This distinction is not clearly stated.

5.    As follows from item 4, the correlation to  SM
Get-Printer-Supported-Values is GetFaxOutServiceElements with values of
Service Configuration, Service Description and Service Status (??)

6.    Comment: - should the SM address subscriptions?

7.    ReleaseHeldNewFaxOutJobs does not exist. ReleaseHeldFaxOutJobs ( no
'new') is probably intended.

8.    Deactivate and Activate were dropped from the SM model. Do we really
need these?

9.    It might be noted that Startup-Printer correlates to StartupService
(FaxOut) of the System Control Service.

10. Neither the SM FaxOut nor Common Semantics include an operation
correlating to Reprocess-Job. It is not clear how this would act for FaxOut.

11. Schedule-Job-After correlates to PromoteFaxOutJob. If the predecessor
Job is specified, PromoteFaxOutJob acts the same way as the IPP
Schedule-Job-After operation.

12. There is no CancelFaxOutDocument in the FaxOut Service just a
CancelFaxOutDocuments (note the 's') although the general semantics
operations is Cancel<service>Document . Is this an error in the FaxOut
Service spec?

13. I find no IdentifyFaxOutService under FaxOut, Common Semantics or System
Control Service. Should this be added to the SM FaxOut Service (and all
other services) or perhaps to System Control Service?

14. The FaxOut Service identifies the following operations that do not
appear in the IPP FaxOut spec:

a.    ResubmitFaxOutJob

b.    ValidateFaxOutDocumentTicket

Also, will we have a conference call tomorrow as scheduled?

Thanks,

Bill Wagner

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp