Subject: [IPP] Does IPP Self-Certification Need Job Ticket Tests?

From: "Paul Tykodi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 12:52:25 -0400

Hi,

I followed up on a question I had about job ticketing and PCLm with a
representative from the Mopria Alliance.

As I understood the Mopria Alliance presentation from Tuesday, the PCLm
format is effectively a streamable PDF format. My job ticket related
question was how did the Mopria Alliance expect a printer consuming the PCLm
data stream to know it should change input tray while the PCLm data stream
was being internally processed?

Their IPP Everywhere based answer was that when a printing device begins to
receive PCLm information coming from a Mopria Alliance client via IPP
Everywhere, the information about input tray changes will be stored in the
IPP job template attributes.

Does this mean we should potentially consider building an IPP
self-certification test that includes IPP override information in the job
template attributes specifying some form of change (example - a different
media size) so that IPP printers can test their ability to read and remember
IPP specified job template attribute overrides for the life of a job?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

/Paul 

Description: header

Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

Tykodi Consulting Svcs LLC

Phone:

(603) 343-1820

3 Lowell Ave

Cell:

(603) 866-0712

Dover, NH 03820

Fax:

(603) 343-1820

USA

E-mail: 

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

 <http://www.tykodi.com> www.tykodi.com

Skype:

Tykodiconsultingservices

Co-Chair               - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP Working Group

Vice-Chair             - IEEE-ISTO PWG Semantic Model Working Group

This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and may be
privileged.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Tykodi Consulting
Services LLC 

immediately by replying to this message and destroying all copies of this
message 

and any attachments. Thank you

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 12:30:30 -0700

Paul,

On Oct 24, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Paul Tykodi <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ... 
> Does this mean we should potentially consider building an IPP self-certification test that includes IPP override information in the job template attributes specifying some form of change (example – a different media size) so that IPP printers can test their ability to read and remember IPP specified job template attribute overrides for the life of a job?

One of the conclusions from the review of the current self-cert manual is that we need to include some Job Template tests.  The next update will include some basic tests for copies, ipp-attribute-fidelity, media, page-ranges, print-color-mode, and sides. I might also add a test for finishings (maybe for staple?)

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair