Subject: [PWG-Announce] Fwd: IETF advancing SNMP over TLS to full Internet Standard

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 15:43:42 -0500

Hi,

Expect classic SNMPv3 (with the unique and costly security
configuration) to disappear in the next year.

SNMPv3 over TLS will become dominant.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto: [email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Subject: [Isms] Last Call: Progressing RFCs 5343, 5590, 5591, and 6353 to
Internet Standard
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

The IESG has received a request from an individual participant to make
the following status changes:

- RFC5343 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
    (Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID
Discovery)

- RFC5590 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
    (Transport Subsystem for the Simple Network Management Protocol
(SNMP))

- RFC6353 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
    (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple
Network Management Protocol (SNMP))

- RFC5591 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
    (Transport Security Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol
(SNMP))

The supporting document for this request can be found here:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-5343-5590-5591-6353-to-internet-standard/

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-01-31. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The affected documents can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5343/
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5590/
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6353/
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5591/

IESG discussion of this request can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-5343-5590-5591-6353-to-internet-standard/ballot/

The are no downrefs in RFCs 5343, 5590, and 5591.

RFC 6353 includes the following down refs:

[RFC4347] Rescorla, E. and N. Modadugu, "Datagram Transport Layer
Security", RFC 4347, April 2006.

[RFC4366] Blake-Wilson, S., Nystrom, M., Hopwood, D., Mikkelsen,
J., and T. Wright, "Transport Layer Security (TLS) Extensions", RFC 4366,
April 2006.

[RFC5246] Dierks, T. and E. Rescorla, "The Transport Layer Security (TLS)
Protocol Version 1.2", RFC 5246, August 2008.

[RFC5280] Cooper, D., Santesson, S., Farrell, S., Boeyen, S., Housley, R.,
and W. Polk, "Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and
Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile", RFC 5280, May 2008.

[RFC5952] Kawamura, S. and M. Kawashima, "A Recommendation for
IPv6 Address Text Representation", RFC 5952, August 2010.
_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms
_______________________________________________
pwg-announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/pwg-announce