Subject: Re: [PWG-Announce] Fwd: IETF advancing SNMP over TLS to full Internet Standard

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:22:46 -0500

I'm assuming this is TLS or DTLS...

R.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]> 
Date:01/03/2014  3:43 PM  (GMT-05:00) 
To: [email-masked],Ira McDonald <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [PWG-Announce] Fwd: IETF advancing SNMP over TLS to full Internet	Standard 

Hi,

Expect classic SNMPv3 (with the unique and costly security
configuration) to disappear in the next year.

SNMPv3 over TLS will become dominant.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto: [email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Subject: [Isms] Last Call: Progressing RFCs 5343, 5590, 5591, and 6353 to Internet Standard
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

The IESG has received a request from an individual participant to make
the following status changes:

- RFC5343 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
    (Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID
Discovery)

- RFC5590 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
    (Transport Subsystem for the Simple Network Management Protocol
(SNMP))

- RFC6353 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
    (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple
Network Management Protocol (SNMP))

- RFC5591 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
    (Transport Security Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol
(SNMP))

The supporting document for this request can be found here:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-5343-5590-5591-6353-to-internet-standard/

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-01-31. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The affected documents can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5343/
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5590/
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6353/
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5591/

IESG discussion of this request can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-5343-5590-5591-6353-to-internet-standard/ballot/

The are no downrefs in RFCs 5343, 5590, and 5591.

RFC 6353 includes the following down refs:

[RFC4347] Rescorla, E. and N. Modadugu, "Datagram Transport Layer
Security", RFC 4347, April 2006.

[RFC4366] Blake-Wilson, S., Nystrom, M., Hopwood, D., Mikkelsen,
J., and T. Wright, "Transport Layer Security (TLS) Extensions", RFC 4366,
April 2006.

[RFC5246] Dierks, T. and E. Rescorla, "The Transport Layer Security (TLS)
Protocol Version 1.2", RFC 5246, August 2008.

[RFC5280] Cooper, D., Santesson, S., Farrell, S., Boeyen, S., Housley, R.,
and W. Polk, "Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and
Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile", RFC 5280, May 2008.

[RFC5952] Kawamura, S. and M. Kawashima, "A Recommendation for
IPv6 Address Text Representation", RFC 5952, August 2010.
_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

_______________________________________________
pwg-announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/pwg-announce

---

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 16:39:51 -0500

Hi Randy,

Right - it's both TLS and DTLS.

It's already widely implemented in routers and other infrastructure
devices.

Cheers,
- Ira

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Randy Turner <[email-masked]>wrote:

> From: Ira McDonald
> To: [email-masked],Ira McDonald