Subject: You're Invited..

From: Stephanie Walker <Stephanie [email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 09:17:01 -0400

Email not displaying correctly? Please click here to view in your web browser

You're Invited..

682 m, resulting in an estimated volume of 1 332×109 km3 [78] If all the land on Earth were spread evenly, water would rise to an altitude of
more than 2 7 km [note 11] About 97 5% of the water is saline, while the remaining 2 5% is fres
06EXHI84T5h water Most fresh water, about 68 7%, is currently ice [79]The average salinity of the Earth's oceans is about 35 grams of salt per
kilogram of sea water (3 5% salt) [80] Most of thi
06EXHI84T5s salt was released from volcanic activity or extracted from cool, igneous rocks [81] The oceans are also a
reservoir06EXHI84T5 of dissolved atmospheric gases, which are essential for the survival of many aquatic life forms [82] Sea water has
an important influence on the world's climate, with the oceans acting as a large heat reservoir [83] Shifts in the oceanic temperature distribution
can cause significant weather shifts, such as the El Niño-Southern Oscillation [84]AtmosphereMain article: Atmosphere of EarthThe atmospheric
pressure on the surface of the Earth averages 101 325 kPa, with a scale height of about 8 5 km [3] It is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, with trace
amounts of water vapor, carbon dioxide and other gaseous molecules The height of the troposphere varies with latitude, ranging between 8 km at the
poles to 17 km at the equator, with some variation resulting from weather and seasonal factors [85]
Earth's biosphere has significantly altered its atmosphere Oxygenic photosynthesis evolved 2 7 bya, forming the primarily nitrogen–oxygen
atmosphere of today [86] This change enabled the proliferation of aerobic organisms as well as the formation of the ozone layer which blocks
ultraviolet solar radiation, permit

06EXHI84T5ting life on land Other atmospheric functions important to life on Earth include transporting water vapor, providing useful gases, causing
small meteors to burn up before they strike the surface, and moderating t06EXHI84T5emperature [87] This last phenomenon is known as
the greenhouse effect: trace molecules within the atmosphere serve to
06EXHI84T5capture thermal energy emitted from the ground, thereby raising the average temperature Water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane and
ozone are the primary greenhouse gases in the Earth's atmosphere Without this heat-retention effect, the average surface would be −18 °C, in
contrast to the current +15 °C, and life would likely not exist [88]Weather and climateMain articles: Weather and ClimateSatellite cloud
06EXHI84T5cover image of Earth using NASA's Moderate-Resolution Imaging SpectroradiometerThe Earth's atmosphere has no definite
boundary, slowly becoming thinner and fading into outer space Three-quarters of06EXHI84T5 the atmosphere's mass is contained within
the first 11 km of the planet's surface This lowest layer is called the troposphere Ene06EXHI84T5rgy from the Sun heats this
layer, and the surface below, causing expansion of the air This lower-density air then ri
06EXHI84T5ses, and is replaced by cooler, hig