Subject: [IPP] RFC: Proposed deprecation process/annotation for the IANA IPP registry

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:08:05 -0400

All,

Here is my proposal for how we deprecate IPP attributes, values, and operations in the IANA IPP registry.  The initial "targets" for this process are:

    Attribute: job-uri
    Operations: Delete-Document, Print-Job, Print-URI, Purge-Jobs, Restart-Job, Reprint-Job
    Values: All of the legacy media names

Comments, please.  We can talk about this during Monday's meeting...

...................................

                    IPP Deprecation Policy - August 22, 2014
                               Status: Initial
                          Editor: [email-masked]

Abstract

RFC 2911 does not define a formal process for removing or deprecating
attributes, operations, or values in the IANA IPP registry.  This policy
document defines such a process for deprecating IPP attributes, operations, and
values that have been previously approved and registered but are no longer
deemed useful or appropriate by the PWG Internet Printing Protocol workgroup.

This version is (will be) available in the directory:

    http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/process/ipp-deprecation-policy-2014MMDD.txt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                    IPP Deprecation Policy - August 22, 2014
                               Status: Initial
                          Editor: [email-masked]

Abstract

RFC 2911 does not define a formal process for removing or deprecating
attributes, operations, or values in the IANA IPP registry.  This policy
document defines such a process for deprecating IPP attributes, operations, and
values that have been previously approved and registered but are no longer
deemed useful or appropriate by the PWG Internet Printing Protocol workgroup.

This version is (will be) available in the directory:

    http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/process/ipp-deprecation-policy-2014MMDD.txt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                     IPP Deprecation Policy (Normative)

The PWG Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) workgroup MAY, at its discretion,
decide that specific IPP attributes, operations, and/or values should be
deprecated in order to a) promote consistency within the IPP Model and
Semantics, b) replace an existing attribute, operation, and/or value with an
equivalent that better serves the long term goals of the IPP workgroup, or
c) remove and existing attribute, operation, and/or value when it has
demonstrated interoperability issues or side-effects that make its use
problematic.

Deprecations can be best practices (SHOULD-NOT) or normative guidance for
implementors (MUST-NOT).

Deprecations for type1 attributes and type1 values (which include status codes,
group tags, and value tags) MUST be registered in approved PWG specifications.

Deprecations for type2 and type3 attributes and values, as well as operations,
can also be submitted to the IPP workgroup mailing list and approved or rejected
depending on workgroup consensus.

DEPRECATIONS IN THE IANA IPP REGISTRY

Deprecated IPP attributes, operations, and values are shown in the registry
using second record below the deprecated item with the SHOULD-NOT or MUST-NOT in
parenthesis after the name.  For example, a Job Template attribute named
"my-attribute" that has a best practice deprecation would appear in the registry
as:

    Job Template  my-attribute              type2 keyword  [RFCnnnn]
    Job Template  my-attribute(SHOULD-NOT)  type2 keyword  [LABEL]

The LABEL reference provides a durable link to the specification or a message
in the mailing list archive in which the deprecation occurred.

DEPRECATING IN SPECIFICATIONS

To deprecate an IPP attribute, operation, or value in a specification, the
editor simply includes the deprecation in the IANA Considerations section,
using the "(SHOULD-NOT)" or "(MUST-NOT)" text after the attribute, operation, or
value.  For example, the "my-attribute" deprecation would use the following
registration text:

    Job Template attributes:                                  Reference
    --------------------------------------------------------  --------------
    my-attribute(SHOULD-NOT) (type2 keyword)                  [PWG5100.NAME]

Deprecations in a specification are published in the IANA IPP registry when
the corresponding specification has been approved by the PWG members.

DEPRECATING THROUGH IPP WORKGROUP DISCUSSION

To deprecate an IPP attribute, operation, or value outside a specification,
an individual sends an email to the IPP WG mailing list ([email-masked]) with the
subject line:

    Subject: IPP Deprecation Request for <list or class of items>

The body of the message then includes a justification for the deprecation
followed by the IANA registration template for the attributes, operations,
and values being deprecated.

After discussion in an IPP workgroup conference call or face-to-face meeting,
the IPP workgroup secretary will then post a response to the original request
indicating the final disposition of the request as well as the final IANA
registration template that will be used.

The IPP workgroup can:

    1. Approve the request as submitted,
    2. Approve the request with modifications,
    3. Require the submitter author a white paper for potential adoption as a
       workgroup specification that goes through formal approval, or
    4. Reject the request for a stated reason.

When approved, the archive page containing the secretary's message will be used
as the durable link in the IANA IPP registry.

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp