Subject: [IPP] History of IANA Printer MIB "xxx...Error" alert codes

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 18:49:01 -0400

Hi,

The problem of the unwise use of "xxx...Error" in PrtAlertCodeTC
values (which collided with PrtAlertSeverityLevelTC) dates back to IETF
Printer MIB v2 (RFC 3805), where the first version of the IANA
Printer MIB module was published and included:

                  subunitRecoverableStorageError(31),
                                               -- Not in RFC 1759
                  subunitUnrecoverableStorageError(32),
                                               -- Not in RFC 1759

And continued with PWG IPP State Extensions (PWG 5100.9, July
2009) with 36 more modeled on the above for every finisher type.

And continued with PWG MFD Alerts (PWG 5107.3, June 2012)
with 6 of "xxx...FeedError" plus "faxModemProtocolError".

Obviously, the Printer MIB v2 editors (Ira was one) were too tired of
waiting by 2004 (seven year delay in RFC Editor queue!!!) to
recognize these collisions with PrtAlertSeverityLevelTC and with
IPP/1.1 suffixes for "printer-state-reasons".

Note that generic subunit codes and specific finisher type codes
also included the unwise suffix "xxx...Failure" (which is implicitly
a critical severity IMHO).

Cheers,
- Ira

PS - Solution to old sins is more whiskey...

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto: [email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp