Subject: [IPP] IPP Deprecation Request for Activate-Printer and Deactivate-Printer

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 09:20:13 -0400

All,

This is a formal request to deprecate the Activate-Printer and Deactivate-Printer operations.  This request is made in conformance with the IPP Registry Policy at:

    http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/process/ipp-registry-policy-20150302.txt

The Activate-Printer operation is a compound operation that performs the Enable-Printer and Resume-Printer operations.  The Deactivate-Printer operation is a compound operation that performs the Disable-Printer and Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job operations.  Since there are no race conditions associated with the separate operations, the Activate-Printer and Deactivate-Printer operations are redundant and should be deprecated.

The following is the registry template to deprecate the operations.

[APPLE20150505-3]
    <link to this message in the IPP WG list archive>

Attributes (attribute syntax)
  Enum Value  Enum Symbolic Name                  Reference
  ----------  ----------------------------------  -----------------
operations-supported (1setOf type2 enum)          [RFC2911]
  0x0027      Deactivate-Printer(deprecated)      [APPLE20150505-3]
  0x0028      Activate-Printer(deprecated)        [APPLE20150505-3]

Operation Name                  Reference
------------------------------  -----------------
Activate-Printer(deprecated)    [APPLE20150505-3]
Deactivate-Printer(deprecated)  [APPLE20150505-3]

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: "Paul Tykodi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 17:15:22 -0400

Hi Mike,

I noticed a couple of typos in the ipp-registry-policy-20150302.txt
document.

Line #1 of Abstract - comma that should be after the word "operations" is
inserted between n and s of the word instead of after the word
Line #2 of Abstract - the word "and" is accidentally spelled as nad

Line #1 of Overview - the word "text" was accidentally replaced with test

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant
TCS - Tykodi Consulting Services LLC

Tel/Fax: 603-343-1820
Mobile:  603-866-0712
E-mail:  [email-masked]
WWW:  http://www.tykodi.com

This e-mail reply and any attachments are confidential and may be
privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Tykodi Consulting
Services LLC 
immediately by replying to this message and destroying all copies of this
message 
and any attachments. Thank you

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Michael
Sweet
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 9:20 AM
To: ipp
Subject: [IPP] IPP Deprecation Request for Activate-Printer and
Deactivate-Printer

All,

This is a formal request to deprecate the Activate-Printer and
Deactivate-Printer operations.  This request is made in conformance with the
IPP Registry Policy at:

The Activate-Printer operation is a compound operation that performs the
Enable-Printer and Resume-Printer operations.  The Deactivate-Printer
operation is a compound operation that performs the Disable-Printer and
Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job operations.  Since there are no race
conditions associated with the separate operations, the Activate-Printer and
Deactivate-Printer operations are redundant and should be deprecated.

[APPLE20150505-3]

Operation Name                  Reference