Subject: [IPP] Fwd: [TLS] RFC 7568 on Deprecating Secure Sockets Layer Version 3.0

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:51:38 -0400

In the spirit of closing the barn door belatedly...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 4:46 PM
Subject: [TLS] RFC 7568 on Deprecating Secure Sockets Layer Version 3.0
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7568

        Title:      Deprecating Secure Sockets Layer Version 3.0
        Author:     R. Barnes, M. Thomson,
                    A. Pironti, A. Langley
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 13489
        Updates:    RFC 5246

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tls-sslv3-diediedie-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7568

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7568

The Secure Sockets Layer version 3.0 (SSLv3), as specified in RFC
6101, is not sufficiently secure.  This document requires that SSLv3
not be used.  The replacement versions, in particular, Transport
Layer Security (TLS) 1.2 (RFC 5246), are considerably more secure and
capable protocols.

This document updates the backward compatibility section of RFC 5246
and its predecessors to prohibit fallback to SSLv3.

This document is a product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of
the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp