Subject: [IPP] Posted IPP System Service (31 August 2015)

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:43:20 -0400

Hi,

I have just posted another Interim draft of IPP System Service for
review during the IPP WG meeting today:

  http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippsystem10-20150831-rev.pdf
  - PDF with line numbers and redlines

  http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippsystem10-20150831-rev.docx
  - MS Word source with line numbers and redlines

This draft contains all of the proposed changes from the PWG F2F
review on 10 August 2015.

This draft contains a *complete* list of proposed operations for the
new IPP System and Resource objects, including the proposed
conformance.  This draft also contains a *complete* list of proposed
attributes for the new IPP System and Resource objects, including
the proposed conformance.

Cheers,
- Ira

-------------------------------
Change History:

31 August 2015

- Interim draft – changes per PWG F2F review on 10 August 2015

- global – deleted redundant “new” and “now” and “below” in several dozen
places

- revised Table of Contents to delete List of Figures (all now deleted in
this version)

- revised section 2.2 Protocol Role Terminology to correct “Infrastructure
System” from “PWG5109.CLOUD” to “PWG5109.1”, add “Printer”, and correct
typos in “Protocol Endpoint”

- revised section 2.2 Protocol Role Terminology to add references to IPP
INFRA (PWG 5100.18) to “Infrastructure Printer”, “Infrastructure System”,
and “Proxy”

- revised section 2.3 Printing Terminology to add “Printer” (synonym for
“Imaging Service”) with RFC 2911 reference

- revised section 3.1 Rationale for the IPP System Service to correct title
of IPP/2.0

- revised section 3.1 Rationale for the IPP System Service to add
paragraphs for IPP INFRA [PWG5100.18] and Cloud Imaging Model [PWG5109.1]

- revised section 5 IPP System and Resource Objects and Operations for
clarity and deleted redundant Figure 1 through Figure 4 (PWG SM abstract
objects) and text

- revised section 5.1 System Attribute Groups and section 5.6 Resource
Attribute Groups titles to be singular (only one of each)

- revised section 5.2 System Operation Attributes and section 5.7 Resource
Operation Attributes to be just forward references to section 7.1 System
and Resource Operation Attributes

- revised section 5.3 System Description Attributes Table 1 and section 7.2
System Description Attributes to add “system-default-printer-uri” to
support the enhanced “Get-Printer-Attributes” operation

- revised and reordered (alphabetized) section 5.3 System Description
Attributes Table 1 and section 7.2 System Description Attributes to insert
“system” prefix on several attributes for consistency with Printer object
in RFC 2911

- revised and reordered (alphabetized) section 5.4 System Status Attributes
Table 2 and section 7.3 System Status Attributes to insert “system” prefix
on several attributes and add “system-up-time”for consistency with Printer
object in RFC 2911

- revised section 5.5 System Operations Table 3 to add missing references
and change “Cancel-Subscriptions” and “Renew-Subscriptions” to singular per
RFC 3995

- revised section 5.5 System Operations Table 3 to update note for
Create-Resource and add note for Create-Printer referring to the
semantically equivalent Create operation in ISO 10175-3

- revised section 5.5 System Operations Table 3 to add note that
Register-Output-Device is semantically equivalent to Register-System in PWG
5109.1 (with differences explained)

- revised section 5.9 Resource Status Attributes Table 5 to add note for
“resource-id” analogous to “job-id” in RFC 2911.

- revised section 5.9 Resource Status Attributes Table 5 to add note for
“resource-k-octets” analogous to “job-k-octets” in RFC 2911.

- revised section 5.9 Resource Status Attributes Table 5 to add notes for
“resource-job-id” and “resource-printer-uri” which are requried for Job and
Printer scoped Resource objects, respectively

- revised section 5.9 Resource Status Attributes Table 5 to add
“resource-authenticator” for verification of Resource data after a
Send-Resource-Data operation

- deleted redundant sections 6.x Cancel-Subscription, Get-Notifications,
Get-Printer-Attributes, and Renew-Subscription and moved to sections 8.x
for existing operations with new semantics

- revised section 6.x Get-Printers to change “selected” to “matching” and
make sure that each attribute has a colon (:) at the end and put the
reference(s) at the end of each attribute name

- revised section 6.x Get-Printers to use “the Client [MUST|SHOULD|MAY]
supply and the System MUST support” for clarity – “OPTIONALLY” is NOT a
defined conformance keyword

- revised section 6.x Get-Printers and section 7.1.x “printer-geo-location”
to remove ‘unknown’ value (never appropriate in this specification)

- revised section 6.x Get-Printers and section 7.1.x
“printer-service-types” to change singular to plural (i.e., multiple
printers can be chosen by the filter)

- revised sections 6.x Get-Resources and Get-Resource-Attributes to note
that they are modeled on Get-Jobs and Get-Job-Attributes with default
returns of “resource-id” and “resource-state”

- revised section 6.x Get-System-Attributes to note that it is modeled on
Get-Printer-Attributes with default return of all System attributes

- revised section 7.1 title to be “System and Resource Operation
Attributes” (since some apply to operations on both objects)

- revised section 7.1.x to change “selects” to “filters” and “selected” to
“matching” for clarity

- added sections 7.1.x for “resource-category”, “resource-id”,
“resource-job-id”, “resource-printer-uri”, “resource-state”, and
“resource-type” operation attributes

- revised section 14.1 Normative References to update IPP/2.0 title and
reference (work-in-progress) and add IPP INFRA (PWG 5100.18-2015) and Cloud
Imaging Model (PWG 5109.1-2015)
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp