Subject: [IPP] 3D Object Support in Forthcoming PDF 2.0 ISO Specification

From: "Paul Tykodi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 09:26:53 -0500

Hi Ira,

I sent Duff Johnson (Current Executive Director of the PDF Association and
participant in the ISO groups who manage PDF related specifications) a quick
note asking whether he had seen much interest in the PDF/E specification
from the commercial sector.

Duff responded that ."3D support will be included natively (1st class
citizen) in PDF in PDF 2.0, which should be published within a year or so."

I don't know whether this new mainstream PDF capability is likely to impact
any IPP Everywhere enhancements we might discuss in the future or not but I
thought you would want to know about the plans for 3D support in this
forthcoming ISO standard.

Best Regards,

/Paul

Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

Tykodi Consulting Svcs LLC

Phone:

(603) 343-1820

3 Lowell Ave

Cell:

(603) 866-0712

Dover, NH 03820

Fax:

(603) 343-1820

USA

E-mail: 

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

 <http://www.tykodi.com/> www.tykodi.com

Skype:

Tykodiconsultingservices

Co-Chair               - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP Working Group

Vice-Chair             - IEEE-ISTO PWG Semantic Model Working Group

This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and may be
privileged.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Tykodi Consulting
Services LLC 

immediately by replying to this message and destroying all copies of this
message 

and any attachments. Thank you

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 11:49:35 -0500

Paul,

3D data in a PDF file is U3D (ECMA-363), and that format does support the notion of material names (free form text), so conceptually it could be used for 3D printing.  I'll make sure to add this in a future version of the 3D extensions document.

> On Dec 7, 2015, at 9:26 AM, Paul Tykodi <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Ira,
>  
> I sent Duff Johnson (Current Executive Director of the PDF Association and participant in the ISO groups who manage PDF related specifications) a quick note asking whether he had seen much interest in the PDF/E specification from the commercial sector.
>  
> Duff responded that …”3D support will be included natively (1st class citizen) in PDF in PDF 2.0, which should be published within a year or so.”
>  
> I don’t know whether this new mainstream PDF capability is likely to impact any IPP Everywhere enhancements we might discuss in the future or not but I thought you would want to know about the plans for 3D support in this forthcoming ISO standard.
>  
> Best Regards,
>  
> /Paul
>  
> 
> Paul Tykodi
> Principal Consultant
> 
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>  
> www.tykodi.com <http://www.tykodi.com/>	
> Skype:
> Tykodiconsultingservices
>  
> This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Tykodi Consulting Services LLC 
> immediately by replying to this message and destroying all copies of this message 
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp <https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp>
_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer