Subject: [IPP] Posted PROTOTYPE draft of IPP System Service (10 September 2017)

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 18:37:50 -0400

Hi,

I have just posted the second PROTOTYPE draft of IPP System
Service for review during IPP WG calls:

  http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippsystem10-20170910-rev.pdf
  - PDF with line numbers and redlines

  http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippsystem10-20170910-rev.docx
  - MS Word source with line numbers and redlines

Summary:  All operations and attributes have now been defined.

Cheers,
- Ira

-------------------------------
Change History:
10 September 2017

- Prototype draft – changes per PWG F2F review on 9 August 2017
- global – accepted all changes from previous draft
- global – replaced all [PWG.SYS] entries with “<none>” in section section
5 IPP Objects and Operations Summary
- global – changed “Set- Resource-Attributes” to “Set-Resource-Attributes
(removed space)
- revised section 5.2 System Description Attributes to add “Note:  An
SM/IPP Equivalent entry of “<none>” indicates that there is no previously
defined equivalent attribute and the attribute is defined for the first
time in this specification.”
- revised section 5.2 System Description Attributes Table 1 to change “SM
Element Name” to “SM/IPP Equivalent”, change
“resource-settable-attributes-supported” mapping to
“job-settable-attributes-supported”, change “system-default-printer-id”
mapping to <none>, and correct note 7
- revised section 5.3 System Status Attributes Table 2 to change “SM
Element Name” to “SM/IPP Equivalent” and change “system-strings-uri”
mapping to “printer-strings-uri”
- revised section 5.4 System Operations Table 3 to change “SM Operation
Name” to “SM/IPP Equivalent”, add operation IDs from IANA section and other
specs, add Get-Printer-Resources (analogous to Get-Resources), change note
6 to state that Register-Output-Device is CONDITIONALLY REQUIRED for
systems that implement IPP Shared Infrastructure Extensions [PWG5100.18],
change note 8 to reference the IPP Event Notifications and Subscriptions
[RFC3995] operation extensions for the System Service, and add note 10 for
Get-Printer-Resources
- revised section 5.6 Resource Description Attributes Table 4 to change “SM
Element Name” to “SM/IPP Equivalent” (for consistency)
- revised section 5.7 Resource Status Attributes Table 5 to change “SM
Element Name” to “SM/IPP Equivalent”, correct “date-time-at-xxx” and
“time-at-xxx” attributes to Job in [RFC8011], and add more details to most
notes
- revised section 5.8 Printer Description Attributes Table 6, section 5.9
Printer Status Attributes Table 7, and section 5.10 Job Status Attributes
to change “SM Element Name” to “SM/IPP Equivalent” and add appropriate
<none> entries
- revised section 6 IPP Operations to rewrite summary of Client
authentication and authorization requirements and explain exception for
Get-Printer-Attributes (for legacy compatibility)
- revised section 6.1 Printer Operations, section 6.2 Resource Operations,
section 6.3 Subscription Operations, and section 6.4 System Operations to
add summary of scope of operations and note about propagation of
“printer-message-from-operator” operation attributes to target Printers in
section 6.1 and “system-message-from-operator” operation attributes to
“printer-message-from-operator” on affected Printers and in section 6.4
- added section 6.1.7 Get-Printer-Resources for an authorized End User
(analogous to Get-Resources for an authorized Operator or Administrator)
- revised all tables in section 13. IANA and PWG Considerations to use
Example style for single-spaced alignment
- moved former section 6.1.6 Get-Printer-Attributes (misplaced) to section
8.2 Get-Printer-Attributes and explained choice of “system-uri” (implicit
default Printer) or “printer-uri” (explicit target Printer)
- revised section 6.3.1 Create-Resource-Subscriptions to create “one or
more System Subcription objects on Resources”
- revised section 6.3.2 Create-System-Subscriptions to create “one or more
System Subcription objects”
- revised section 6.4 System Operations to change
“printer-message-from-operator” to “system-message-from-operator”
throughout for consistency
- revised section 6.4.3.1 Get-System-Attributes Request to change “System
MUST all” to “System MUST return all”
- revised section 6.4.4.1 Get-System-Supported-Values to change “System
MUST all” to “System MUST return all” and change “xxx-supported-attributes”
to “xxx-supported” attributes (no trailing quote mark)
- revised section 6.4.5 Pause-All-Printers and section 6.4.6
Pause-All-Printers-After-Current-Job to change “removed from
“printer-state-reasons”” to “removed from their “printer-state-reasons”
(change to Printer objects rather than System object
- revised section 6.4.7 Register-Output-Device paragraph on “Access Rights”
to change “Proxy of the Printer” to “Proxy of the System” and change
“Infrastructure Printer” to “System” and correct operation attribute to
“output-device-id” (uri(45))
- revised section 6.4.8 Restart-System to add comment about possible
addition of a state change diagram (System and Printers)
- revised section 6.4.8 Restart-System to note potential use for cleanup of
non-responsive or corrupt Printers and also for “software rejuvenation”
(proactive restart to mitigate performance degradation and other associated
failures related to “software aging”) based on AT&T research in the 1990s
- revised section 6.4.8.2 Restart-System Response for
“restart-get-interval” to change “should” to “SHOULD” (conformance
recommendation)
- revised section 7.1.15 resource-type to change “Create-Resources” to
“Create-Resource”
- revised section 7.1.17 restart-get-interval to change “specifies and
interval” to “specifies an interval”
- revised section 7.2.4 ipp-features-supported to add “semantically
analogous” clause
- revised section 7.2.5 ipp-versions-supported to change “REQUIRED
attribute” to “REQUIRED System attribute”
- revised section 7.7.8 resource-state to change “transitions are show” to
“transitions are shown”
- revised sections 13 IANA and PWG Considerations to use Example style for
registration templates (single-spaced)
- revised section 13.4 Type2 enum Attribute Value Registrations to add new
Get-Printer-Resources and assign new operation ID of “0x0065”
- revised section 14.1 Normative References to update for FIN and IPP 3D
final versions
- revised section 16.2.1 Restrict “printer-id” to simplify title
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp