Subject: [IPP] [PWG5100.18] Issue #77: UUID used for registering Output Device with Infrastructure Printer not discussed clearly

From: Smith Kennedy via ipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 16:46:04 +0000 (UTC)

[Issue Unconfirmed]

The Proxy registers an Output Device with the Infrastructure Printer using
the Update-Output-Device-Attributes operation, specifying a UUID for that
Output Device using the "output-device-uuid" operation attribute.
Subsequent operations performed by the Proxy on behalf of that Output
Device will need to specify that same "output-device-uuid".

The above details are not clearly articulated to the reader / implementer.
This should be more clearly described.

Additionally, where this UUID comes from or should come from is also not
specified clearly. It could be that the Proxy reuses the value of the
Output Device's "printer-uuid" Printer Description attribute. While this
might be useful for auditing purposes, it also could violate privacy in
some way. A better practice (that is followed in the current "ippproxy"
code) is to generate a new UUID and specify that.

Link: http://www.pwg.org/issues/77

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp