Subject: [IPP] Fwd: [TLS] WG Action: Rechartered Transport Layer Security (tls)

From: Ira McDonald via ipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:55:27 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 3:29 PM
Subject: [TLS] WG Action: Rechartered Transport Layer Security (tls)
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, The IESG <[email-masked]>

The Transport Layer Security (tls) WG in the Security Area of the IETF has
been rechartered. For additional information, please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

Transport Layer Security (tls)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Christopher Wood <[email-masked]>
  Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]>
  Sean Turner <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>

Security Area Directors:
  Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
  Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/tls/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/tls/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-tls/

The TLS (Transport Layer Security) working group was established in 1996 to
standardize a 'transport layer' security protocol. The basis for the work
was
SSL (Secure Socket Layer) v3.0 [RFC6101]. The TLS working group has
completed
a series of specifications that describe the TLS protocol v1.0 [RFC2246],
v1.1 [RFC4346], v1.2 [RFC5346], and v1.3 [RFC8446], and DTLS (Datagram TLS)
v1.0 [RFC4347], v1.2 [RFC6347], and v1.3 [draft-ietf-tls-dtls13], as well as
extensions to the protocols and ciphersuites.

The working group aims to achieve three goals. First, improve the
applicability and suitability of the TLS family of protocols for use in
emerging protocols and use cases. This includes extensions or changes that
help protocols better use TLS as an authenticated key exchange protocol, or
extensions that help protocols better leverage TLS security properties, such
as Exported Authenticators. Extensions that focus specifically on protocol
extensibility are also in scope. This goal also includes protocol changes
that reduce TLS resource consumption without affecting security. Extensions
that help reduce TLS handshake size meet this criterion.

The second working group goal is to improve security, privacy, and
deployability. This includes, for example, Delegated Credentials and
Encrypted SNI. Security and privacy goals will place emphasis on the
following:

- Encrypt the ClientHello SNI (Server Name Indication) and other
application-sensitive extensions, such as ALPN (Application-Layer Protocol
Negotiation).

- Identify and mitigate other (long-term) user tracking or fingerprinting
vectors enabled by TLS deployments and implementations.

The third goal is to maintain current and previous version of the (D)TLS
protocol as well as to specify general best practices for use of (D)TLS,
extensions to (D)TLS, and cipher suites. This includes recommendations as to
when a particular version should be deprecated. Changes or additions to
older
versions of (D)TLS whether via extensions or ciphersuites are discouraged
and
require significant justification to be taken on as work items.

The working group will also place a priority in minimizing gratuitous
changes
to (D)TLS.

Milestones:

  Jul 2020 - Submit "Deprecating MD5 and SHA-1 signature hashes in TLS 1.2"
  to the IESG

  Sep 2020 - Submit "Delegated Credentials for TLS" to the IESG

  Nov 2020 - Submit "TLS Ticket Requests" to the IESG

  Nov 2020 - Submit "A Flags Extension for TLS 1.3" to the IESG

  Jan 2021 - Submit "Importing External PSKs for TLS" to the IESG

  Mar 2021 - Submit "Encrypted Server Name Indication for TLS 1.3" to the
IESG

  Mar 2021 - Submit "Batch Signing for TLS" to the IESG

  Jul 2021 - Submit "Semi-Static Diffie-Hellman Key Establishment for TLS
  1.3" to the IESG

  Jul 2021 - Submit "Compact TLS 1.3" to the IESG

  Nov 2021 - Submit "Hybrid key exchange in TLS 1.3" to the IESG

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp